Network Redundancy (AB), what makes sense at HMI and Rack level?

harryting

Lifetime Supporting Member
We had a discussion here internally on the best practice to do redundant network and I would like to seek some feedbacks from the experts here.

Someone suggested Ethernet/IP (simplex) and Controlnet both at the HMI level. To me, it makes more sense to do redundant E/IP instead because it's less $ and one do not have to switch over the I/O or OPC driver for the HMI project.

At the rack level, from the main PLC rack to remote I/O, I tend to perfer redundant Controlnet. Is there any good reason to consider Ethernet/IP for that?

Similar Topics

We're just looking at setting up a redundant ControlLogix chassis pair. The pair communicate to a single I/O rack via Ethernet/IP, and we will...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a question about the ring network topology and redundancy. The network will be on a fiber optic media. I've been doing some reading...
Replies
Views
Hi I like to know how the cable redundancy work in profibus. In order to provide cable redundancy I like to use two bus network for each slave...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I have application for 1 WinCC V6.0 single station connected to S7-400 CPU through Ethernet (CP443). I want to add 1 more CP443 at S7...
Replies
Views
We are having an issue with some servers, with "Teamed NICs" is we plug one cable leg of the team into one switch and the other to another...
Replies
Views
Back
Top Bottom