proportional valve control with encoder feedback

I guess you have never stated what type of accuracy you want to control you speed. That information is part of what dictates what type of valves and other components you should be using.

Here is a lower end controller but your speed feedback will have to be 4-20 or +/-10V:
http://www.hctcontrols.com/products/dr/drf.htm

The valves you are using are generally lower performance valves compared to state of the art hydraulic motion control.

If you don't really need a lot of precision, you may get away with a pressure compensator on your valve. That should keep the pressure drop across the valve constant regardless of the load. It's not super accurate but might be "good enough" ...

I guess you have never stated what type of accuracy you want to control you speed. That information is part of what dictates what type of valves and other components you should be using.

Here is a lower end controller but your speed feedback will have to be 4-20 or +/-10V:
http://www.hctcontrols.com/products/dr/drf.htm

The valves you are using are generally lower performance valves compared to state of the art hydraulic motion control.

If you don't really need a lot of precision, you may get away with a pressure compensator on your valve. That should keep the pressure drop across the valve constant regardless of the load. It's not super accurate but might be "good enough" ...

Thanks for the info, Norm,

I'll look into that controller, as well.

As I mentioned in my first post, I am pretty new, but fascinated by world of industrial hydraulics and controls. I know I'm just scratching the surface in what is possible, but have a limited budget of money and time to learn about them. I have a suppliers that I get to bounce what-if scenarios off of that usually keep me on track.