InTouch 9.5 Distributed Alarm Manager

de_arnab

Question for you guys:

I have IOServer1 and IOServer2 as redundant IO Servers for InTouch 9.5 System (tags and alarming). On my other computer(which is a Engineering Work Station), we are doing development and runtime. IOserver talks to OPCLink -> RSLinx ->PLC. On my Engwkstn, I have setup "Alarms" in Configure->Distributed Alarm Manager and put this in the Member field:
\\IOServer1\InTouch!$System
\\IOServer2\InTouch!$System
On my alarm objects for each HMI screen, on the Alarm Query field, I have: Alarm Query: Alarms

My problem is that whenever I get an alarm, I have the same alarm pop up twice in the alarm banner. I think that is because in my Distributed Alarm Manager setup InTouch is getting the alarm twice from both the servers as they are running. I don't want to poll one server because my system is redundant. So, how do I fix this problem.

Thanks a bunch folks! Any experience is appreiciated. Thanks.

Your configuration is exactly not what you want. You are polling two different IO servers.

For a redundant system, you would want logic to determine the health of a primary and secondary IO server. Then if the primary is lost, switch to the secondary. You don't want both IO servers in "service" at the same time. Twice the overload for the same information. There is a function that will switch IO servers - check it out.

Oakley said:
Your configuration is exactly not what you want. You are polling two different IO servers.

For a redundant system, you would want logic to determine the health of a primary and secondary IO server. Then if the primary is lost, switch to the secondary. You don't want both IO servers in "service" at the same time. Twice the overload for the same information. There is a function that will switch IO servers - check it out.
Thanks Oakley. The primary fails over to secondary via Access names because I have the secondary source enabled. But only one IO server is active at one time. My question is how do I set the Distributed Alarm Manager to show alarms only once in the clients. Since I have given two paths to two nodes(2 IO servers) any alarm that comes pops up twice. I gotta have the secondary server's View, OPCLInk and RSLinx running otherwise primary will not failover to secondary. But how do I get pass this alarm problem ?

Thanks

Don't use the Distributed Alarm Manager, just leave it blank. Instead use the Alarm DB View ActiveX Control to display the alarms. Set up the Control to point to the primary server, when it fails, write a script that changes the properties of the Control to point to the secondary server.

Tark said:
Don't use the Distributed Alarm Manager, just leave it blank. Instead use the Alarm DB View ActiveX Control to display the alarms. Set up the Control to point to the primary server, when it fails, write a script that changes the properties of the Control to point to the secondary server.

Thanks Tark. I will try doing that. Not sure how I will access the Server Name or Alarm Query field on the Alarm DB View ActiveX Control when I write the script. But, I will do some research. Usually I think it's done through Distributed Alarm Manager. I was only using the Distributed Alarm tab and not the History tab in the Manager by the way. But, please let me know of anymore ideas if you have.

Thanks.

Check the Users Guide on the Alarm DB View Control. There are a lot of Properties that you can set during runtime, such as Server Name.

If you can't get the Alarm DB View Control to switch to the secondary, then just create two Alarm DB View controls one that points to the primary and one that points to the secondary. Then just place the secondary control on a frameless window and have it popup over the primary.