what is opc

chauhanrasikendra

C
Dear Sir,
I would like to knoe the OPC fundas.What is OPC where it is used , one example etc

Regards

Chauhan

Hello chauhanrasikendra;

OPC is an acronym for "OLE for Process Automation"; it is an extension of COM and DCOM structures allowing Windows (Microsoft) programs to exchange data in a simple manner. DDE was the first implementation, allowing control systems to send data to an Excel datasheet, for example. OPC is the newest version of this exchange format, specifically designed for automation processes, increasing the speed and reliability of the exchanges.
OPC development and standardiztion has been transfered to an external body, the OPC Foundation. On their website you will find information (FAQs, White papers, code in C and VisualBasic...) you should find useful: www.opcfoundation.org.

On a personnal note: You have been accessing this forum for many months now, and you have always been asking very general questions(difference between different Ethernet protocols, different fieldbus setups...); since you have chosen not to register, we have no idea who you are, where you are from or what you do. We would like to know what type of project you are involved in, and what impact our answers to your questions have on real programs and setups. We could be even more helpful (and I hope you feel we have been forthcoming)if we understood what you are trying to do. Please take a few seconds to register; you will find that there are advantages (downloads, personnal messages) that you might find useful too.

Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

For Foundation Fieldbus you can have redundant Power supplies, you can use terminals for each sensor that will isolate a shorted sensor from the rest of the network.See this

You should be able to use OPC from two different places on the network for redundancy. I have never tested it, but I believe its possible.

As far as any other type of redundancy I don't know.
I've never worked with Profibus PA.

You seem to be asking general questions somewhat related to each other. So, what is it that you are working on?

Give details and then maybe someone can help you better!