Difference between Modular and Rack Mounted PLC

tahir4awan

For a newbie it is difficult to differentiate between these two types of PLCs. What I am able to understand that Modular PLC does have modules but they are fixed and connected together by hard wire.
Rack mounted PLC modules are connected by back plane PCB slots so there is no need to wired them.

Am I right to differentiate them?

Modular and Rack Mounted PLC are not opposite to each other.
Modular is opposite to single unit PLC (a.k.a. brick).
Rack mounted is opposite to rackless (rail) mounting of modules.

In the search field above, enter the following; Unitary, modular, rack-mounted PLC. You'll find plenty of explanation as well as opinions on the caliber of the so-called teachers who continue to force their students to memorize such meaningless trivia instead of concentrating on teaching them how to use one of the most important tools of automation.