plc programmer

carrma

i'm fresh graduate from malaysia. i need some advise about mastering PLC. if i want to become PLC programmer, what PLC shoud i expert in. for now on, i'm just intermediate with mitsi FX-series.

is the plc reference is open source. and where i can get the source.

what PLC should i expert in. for now on

I think that depends where you are planning on living. Like if you are going to stay over on that side of the pond, you probably want to check to see what PLC dominates in your area of living.

Like over here in the USA, Allen Bradley seems to keep popping up everywhere I go. So it would make sense to study Allen Bradley if you are moving to the USA to work.

But if you are going to stay in your country, probably what ever is the most popular PLC. Like Mitsubishi or Omron right?

Chako is right about Allen Bradley having the largest market share in the USA. Worldwide Siemens is the largest, and you would do well to learn about them. However, the brand popularity varies widely from industry to industry and company to company. Because of strong distributors many smaller brands dominate in local areas. The advice about finding out what is popular where you want to work is right on the mark. However, you can take some reassurance from the knowledge that fundamental concepts are almost universal, and once you learn one brand you can take most of what you know to another brand.

So what PLC is mostly used in CANADA. Im planning to migrate in CANADA in the next 5 months. Please advise thanks. For us programmers of PLC do we have a great opportunity in CANADA.

Ive recently been hired in canada by a OEM. We use Allen Bradley (Control Logix) there. But im sure siemens experience is just as good. We are pretty busy too, doesnt seem to be affected by the tough times others are talking about.

Good Luck

Steve

Allen Bradley is the most popular here in Alberta from what I've seen in the Oilfield and Sawmills. I haven't even seen enough other brands around to guess who is in second place. I would recommend learning RSLogix.

plcs in deutschland

hi there guys
while were on this subject anybody know what plc brand is the most poular in germany and holland? do any of you write code for this part of the world, are there any pitfalls that i sould know about beforehand.
Im hoping to move into these areas and was wondering will my AB and Mitsi experience count for anything?

thanks in advance kev

I have not written any code over the pond, but I deal with a great deal of german equipment. They always seem to use siemens. The code is written in lad, csf and statement list. Siemens plc's use more of the byte format (those damn overlaps) than the word format.

Vetteboy and Steve:

How about GE Fanuc PLC Do you encounter this brand in CANADA. If you have idea what is the popularity rank for this particular brand. I ask this beacause this is the brand only im familiar with.
thanks

Lovington Dela Cruz

If I recall correctly, I think the Automotive industry is pretty heavy into GE FANUC. Here is a few job sites that I used while looking for a job here

http://www.careerbeacon.com/
http://www.employmentandbusiness.com/jobs.cfm?page=jobs
http://jb-ge.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/Search_en.asp?ProvId=06&Student=false
http://workinfonet.bc.ca/websites.htm?style=key&keyword=120
www.workopolis.com

Canada is a big country, do you know which part you were looking for work in? Out west they have a lot of oil and gas, in Ontario they have a lot of manufacturing

Good luck

-Steve

I have it on good authority (the german-speaking technician translating some of our machinery) that German techs have a distaste for Windows-based PLC software, and will stick to DOS wherever possible. We have four machines in our plant where this was certainly the case.

Of course, lots of us have a distaste for windows, but not enough to abandon RSLogix in favor of the old DOS stuff :)

TM

If you really want to be a good plc programmer you should be able to program differents kind of plcs and the top plc on the market such as Allen Bradley,Honeywell,Telemecanique,Siemens and so on. Then you should focus on regulation process such as PID's etc...

Visit this site, there is some free demo about plc softwares: www.austglobal.com/plcc.html

First of all I would like to thank to all of you who responded my question and providing lots of information.
With regards to Steve question im planning to stay in Toronto. But if you can suggest which is the best place to stay and look for a job that fit to my experience(Industrial automation, plc, instrument experience)is highly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Lovington Dela Cruz

toronto in general is a pretty good choice job wise. with in an hour of toronto there is a manufacturing. If your looking to go where the jobs are, do a search on www.workopolis.com I usually use the keyword PLC

regards,

Steve