problem with s5 and wago distributed i/o

catalin78

i have a s5 948 with im 308 for profibus , and field i/o its wago
the problem it's the following :
a random fieldcoupler goes into i/o error rest of the field couplers work but im 308 stops and bf led blinks
every time when de bus is faulty it's a i/o error on a random coupler so i don't think the distributed i/o is faulty , and the problem was started along when the installation was NEW
If any of you has a ideea please let me know :) help!:)
thanks

It looks like you have a real nasty problem there.
Support from Siemens and WAGO will try to blame each other. Still, contact them both with your problems and hope that they can/will help you.

I think that you have to go online with the IM308 via COM PROFIBUS and try to see if there are diagnostics information somewhere. Personally, I have no experience with this.

Also, on http://www.sps-foren.de/ there is a greater chance of contacting someone with experience with IM308.
Go to the "feldbusse" section and do not be afraid to ask in english !

catalin78

I have a bit of experience with IM308's, but not with WAGO I/O, I have used Beckhoff modules with them.

You say that this problem has been around since new, I would guess that the bus parameters have not been set correctly. I would check the baud rate setting and try a slower rate and see if this helps. There is also a setting for the amount of 'retries', this might be too low.

Have you got a copy of com profibus so that you can interogate the bus settings?

Could you post a copy of the bus configuration? I could have a look at it then and see if I can spot a problem.

Paul

catalin78 said:
i want to check wiring parametrization with com profibus but can i import the im 308 parametrization from network?

I see you replied to Jesper while I was typing my reply.

Yes, you can import the IM308 configuration from the network, from the 'file' -> 'import' -> then choose DP master, set the correct bus settings and away you go.

Paul

Thanks PLucas , i don't have yet the configuration, i'll download it next week , if u can give me your mail addres i'll mail it to ya to find it easyer , i think i have com profibus too somewhere on my hard drive.
Waiting your reply , thanks in advance,
Catalin

I think not.
Not having worked with COM PROFIBUS, I cannot say exactly how it goes, but I think you have to setup all the nodes manually.
Maybe you also have to specify the token rotation time.
I think that maybe the target token rotation time is set too short.

edit:
Yes, you can import the IM308 configuration from the network, from the 'file' -> 'import' -> then choose DP master, set the correct bus settings and away you go.
Looks like I was wrong.

Increasing the number of retries sounds like a good idea too.

Last edited:
catalin78 said:
if u can give me your mail addres i'll mail it to ya to find it easyer ,

You can email me via this forum. What version of com profibus do you have?

JesperMP said:
but I think you have to setup all the nodes manually.

What do you mean by this Jesper? Com profibus is similar to netpro/hardware configurator in step 7, you drop your nodes onto the bus and address them up.

JesperMP said:
I think that maybe the target token rotation time is set too short

That is what I meant when I wrote

There is also a setting for the amount of 'retries', this might be too low.

Paul

edit.. I see you replied when I was typing, I must learn to type faster!

i didn't find com profibus here , i will look on my other computers , i don't know what i did with it , do i need a special version of it???

but I think you have to setup all the nodes manually.
What do you mean by this Jesper? Com profibus is similar to netpro/hardware configurator in step 7, you drop your nodes onto the bus and address them up.
I mean that he cannot just attach all the hardware, and then "read" it into COM PROFIBUS. I may be wrong.
I aggree with "drop your nodes onto the bus and address them up".

About "Number of retries" and "Target Token Rotation Time":
These are two different settings.

Number of Retries is the number of times the master shall allow an error like the Token rotation time being too long before shutting down with a fault.

Target Token Rotation Time is the worst case time that the token must use before returning to a node, taking everything into account.

Last edited:
I mean that he cannot just attach all the hardware, and then "read" it into COM PROFIBUS

True.

About "Number of retries" and "Target Token Rotation Time":
These are two different settings

I misunderstood what you first wrote as the token rotation times are calculated by the software, however (I just checked this as I was previously working from memory) there is a correction factor which is adjustable, this figure will then be multiplied by the target rotation time (calculated) as a 'safety margin' for the response time, to allow for 'delays'.

Paul
P.S As I haven't worked with com profibus or an IM308 for over a year now, the memory is a bit hazy and tends to mist up when I have to switch back into S5 mode.