How can you find time to reply the topics.

Despite PLCs.net is my favourite site, I dont sit and monitor it all the time.

But when I have finished a small task in my job, I refresh myself with a cup of coffee and a peek on the site. So in the end I check the site approx 5 times every day.

If there is a particularly interesting thread, then I look at lot more frequently, and in that case I check the other threads now that I am at it anyway.

I think of replying to others questions as a learning for myself. I could say something wrong that i consider true. But some other guy will correct me.
And if i said something right then i help others like i'm helped.
When i'm in office (not on site) i switch to PLCS.net once every 2 hours or so. It doesn't take much time. And i see the time invested in this forum worth it
icon14.gif

JesperMP said:
But when I have finished a small task in my job, I refresh myself with a cup of coffee and a peek on the site. So in the end I check the site approx 5 times every day.

If there is a particularly interesting thread, then I look at lot more frequently, and in that case I check the other threads now that I am at it anyway.
This is EXACTLY what I do. I also think that every control engineer, no matter how skilled, can learn something here. Yesterday, I saved that "SLC Running Average" solution for future use.

I also find neat information about weird problems that only the PLC community would know. For example that "Error 60" problem on PanelView 1000 would have burned me in a few months had I not found the solution here. And I try to share when I can...Even if it is some bad humor (or humor at the misfortune of others - my favorite).

I even tell my boss how valuable this site is so he doesn't think I'm goofing off while online at work.

Last edited:
Mark Buskell said:
I think its because these guys don't have a life :)

You forgot GIT.

LOL...I have 3 pc's at my desk one is a server that's logged on to PLCS.net...a simple push of f5 key and a glance at the screen...and presto! I get to see what's up in the automation world

But I dont think I should be grouped in with them boy's...they help a lot of people, I like to read.

As a PLC and SCADA trainer in an open learning environment I'm sitting here waiting till one of my pupils requires my help. Well, some days it's exactly like that, other days I don't know where to help first and I scarsely get enough time to take a sip from my drink (water or coffee). And because a lot of the guys I teach are employees, who come in with questions about all kinds of situations, some I've never heard of before or even considered to be possible, I have to turn to PLCs.net for answers from time to time. And because I do like to return the favours whenever I can, I make it a habbit to come here at least twice a working day and if possible once a weekend.

So in the end, PLCs.net is simply one of my major tools to perform my job and to enhance my knowledge.

Kind regards,

I try to check in when things get slow at work. I am a field tech but lately not to much field. I do bench work and phone support routinely. I was made aware of this site and another PLC site by a member that was doing a class I was taking. I have learned a lot more about PLC's and like reading to learn more. I have used a sample code from here to make a project work.

Sometimes checking in here is a major stress reliever.

I have been semi-retired in a fashion, just taking odd jobs here and there, which allowed me to be at home either remodeling my home or doing homework. This allowed me to pop in and out on a regular basis.

I could do this in the past but things have changed; therefore at some point in the near future I probably will not be able to reply very often. I have to go back to work and it is possible I will have to travel again, time will tell.

jvdcande said:
As a PLC and SCADA trainer in an open learning environment I'm sitting here waiting till one of my pupils requires my help. Well, some days it's exactly like that, other days I don't know where to help first and I scarsely get enough time to take a sip from my drink (water or coffee).
QUOTE]

That sums it up for me. Its a great place to learn about systems that are new to me. Its also a great place to loose track of the political BS in the education world. 'Kind of reminds me that there are people who think. :D

I consider the forum a very important knowledge base.(I learn a lot more than i contribute-sorry guys).I surf the site every morn before leaving for work and in the evening again.
If I have a chance or need an answer I also go in from work.
The site was blocked at work("you can't chat on company time")I explained to IT the importance of the site and they opened it for me.

Have a good wekend all.

Steve

I first came here looking for info on a PLC I'd never heard of and was directed to their site because one of the memebers remembered finding it by mistake...I've been hooked ever since. Bunch of great guys with a knowledge base so vast...its unreal. AND...thanks to the job posting section I am again gainfully employed in an amazing and usful field...alternative/green/renewable energy. When working here at the bence I keep at least 2 browser windows open, one here and the other for whatever. Also, you best stay tuned, cuz if ya get behind, its almost impossible to get caught up.
Bob

Some people are... lucky?

They can go to work and hang on the net... without tending to business.

It's really that simple. They're cheating the MAN. They are simply not being pro-active in terms of making their processes as good as they can be!

However, I must say, some of these guys ARE the man. So, I guess those guys are only cheating themselves, and/or perhaps their stockholders.

I just can't believe that some people think that their processes are so good that they simply don't need to keep working on them to make them better!

I have one primary process and several minor processes. Between the bunch, I'm always busy working on my plans for making this, or that, better... not to mention, new things.

I NEVER go onto PLCs.net while I'm at work. That is Gospel!

As far as these other (US) guys, and their really important reasons to be on PLCs.net during their workday... I just don't buy it.

Go ahead... Flame-On... Torch-Me!

But, first, why don't those of you that are going to try to defend your hang-out actions really try to put in a TRUELY, HONEST, effort at self-evaluation in this regard?

And, please, keep in mind the question, as it was posed, in the initial post.

PLEASE, bear in mind, I'm talking about the Employed HANGERS.

Last edited: