Please help!! PanelView 600 and AB MicroLogix 1200 communcation problem

matt_zzz

Hey good peoples, I’m a sparky and do the low level PLC work whenever I get the chance though it has been many years since I’ve done any PLC courses and need a helping hand..

I have been setting up some SOLAR stuff at home as a hobby and would like to slowly incorporate a touch screen as a user friendly interface as my project grows, I hope to have the flexibility for this system to adapt.

I have all AB equipment that I have been sourcing over time:-

1 x RSLogix 500 (6.10.10)
1 x Panel builder 32 (03.83.01 build 7)
1 x AB panel view 600 (2711-B6C14 ... Ser.-B, Rev-J, FRN-4.21) RS-232 / MODBUS
1 x AB MicroLogix 1200 (1762-L24BWA ... Ser.-C, Rev-E)
3 x AIC’s (1761-NET-AIC ... Ser.-B, Rev-A)
1 x programming cable (1761-CBL-PM02, Ser.-C)
1 x USB to COM (setup on windows 7 com 4)
Many other gender changes and bits
Also able to make any combination of cables also required / or buy them as/if required.

I can communicate with the PC between with the PV 600 and also a mock page on the PanelView, and the same on the PLC itself but can’t get them to talk to each other. Eventually I would like to put the control (PLC) down stairs and up to run a few load shedding controls and have the touch screen (PV 600) upstairs to peep on what’s going on with everything solar! I know it’s a little unorthodox though would it be possible if someone maybe could put me out of my misery and give me a basic program for the touch screen, PLC and possibly the set up the communications with or/and without the AIC’s so I could just plug it all in and reverse engineer what they have done so I could learn and get myself out of this mental hole I have dug!!!

Many thanks in advance,
Matt

Because your PV supports modbus protocol you are going to have to configure your ML1200's serial port for modbus.

Also see pdf below for more info on your PV.

Yeah Hey Mickey, thanks I have that bit of info, I maybe pushing my luck though were really after something written I could down load on to both PV and MicroLogix setup as posted above. Many thanks for your fast posting..

Hi Matt,

You are to be commended for your resourcefulness but you have a set of round holes and square pegs.

If the PanelView had DH485 protocol *and* you had a 1747-UIC you could connect everything together and go online with the MicroLogix at the same time as the PanelView was accessing it.

If the controller was a MicroLogix 1200R you could go online through the "R" port while the PanelView was accessing the Channel 0 port via Modbus RTU.

But with this particular collection of stuff, you can't connect it all at once.

What I would do is make use of the DCOMM button on the MicroLogix 1200 controller. This will let you disconnect the PanelView from Channel 0 and switch back to DF1 Full Duplex (compatible with your USB/RS232 converter) for monitoring and upload/download.

Press the button again until the DCOMM LED is off, reconnect the PanelView, and you're back to running the system.

It's not ideal, but it will work with the hardware you have in hand.

Here are some demo's from the PanelView32 CD. You may have to change the cat. number for the PV and the processor type for the .rss file. But they might point you in the right direction.

Note I have never used a modbus PV.

Hey Ken, I have not worked with any Modbus stuff before, so lost..

I have messed with the COM button to switch between but I find when I go to down load the Panel view program it loses the connection, I think this is right because it changes the connection type?

If I say please... would you be able to set up a very basic program for me with say a switch on the PV and basic control on the PLC with the COM setup so I could get this nutted out.

Will I be able to manage at a later date as mentioned above with the remote aspect of my project with these items?

I would be very thankful if you could help me out with this, I’m going crazy...

Hey Muusic man, where have I gone wrong? What do you think I require to start with, I have been going through a few ideas just can’t get the PLC and the PV to communicate...

Hey music man, I have looked at the spec’s http://www.ab.com/en/epub/catalogs/12762/2181376/2416247/25463/2163606/print.html and it states “Modbus communication is supported through the RE232-C port” that are available on all MicroLogix 1200 PLC’s, could you please let me know what hardware I am missing..

I think I require a 2711-NC21 (which can be made up of a 1761-CBL-PM02 & with a null modem adapter) which I am yet still to confirm for the Modbus 1200 PLC to PV 600 setup.