FactoryTalk View SE issue: upgrading AB/Rockwell is such a pain in (_!_)

KuulKuum

Lifetime Supporting Member
I was debating putting alot of the RA support issues I so far have had with this project, but decided to let is slide and get to the point of the current issue I need some help resolving. Trust me I have had many issue resolved by the members of this great forum than I have had with RA support, and all I usually do is use the search tool ;)

Here is some background information: Upgraded a BPCS & SIS system to redundant Win Server 2008 with FactoryTalk View SE v7 / ControlNet v19 and several Win7 clients FTV and RSLogix 5000 v20. All system have July 2014 roll-up patch. The BPCS PLC processor is L72 & the SIS PLC is L62.

Problem: HMI FTV has screens for sequence/steps control used for burner management with a button to open PLC LOGIC using the "OpenRSLogix5000" command. This would allow operator's to view the code for that seq/step. Looking a the command-parameters everything looks fine (worked fine before upgrade for many yrs.) Using the FTV OpenRSLogix5000 wizard and clicking the program file path and select the correct *.ACD then click the routine the following popup message occurs "Logix 5000 is not installed"

This is what I have found from RA support center
478034 - Logix 5000 is not installed
Access Level: TechConnect
Date Created: 03/21/2012 02:19 PM
Last Updated: 01/14/2013 08:39 AM
Problem
After upgrading FactoryTalk Services platform to CPR9 SR5 using the built-in command:
OpenRSLogix5000 command will return the following:
Logix 5000 is not installed.
Solution
This is fixed with v21 of RSLogix5000.

Seems to me a lame solution and "NO, installing v21 is not an option at this point in time"
Does anyone have any bright ideas or work around for this type of issue?

Sorry, can't help, but I can tell you that if you can achieve a stable installation anywhere of FTView, you should simply NEVER TOUCH IT. Do NOT try to upgrade it, it isn't worth the hassle.

Rockwell really needs to get out of the HMI/SCADA business, they simply do not have the talent to implement it without tuning everything into a cluster****.

Also, if used as an HMI, FTView should, IMHO, be the only thing to live on that computer. There should be no other software, as FTView is just about incompatible with itself. It's sad that Rockwell can't even make it compatible with their other products, but that just goes to show the level of incompetence there.