Guardlogix 5370 controller

What might have happened is that when your computer was disconnected from the enterprise network and could not access the license server, it went into "Service Edition" mode instead of "Grace Period" mode.

That would allow you to view the program, but not edit it.

This is evidently behavior that changed in Studio 5000 v29. Prior to that, a "grace period" activation would act as the full license.

It used to depend on the serial number entered. I haven't checked newer versions.

I found this out by accident. Years ago I had gotten into the habit of using 1234567890 for a serial number if I was in a hurry installing software based on the belief that all it did was give you a handy place to look up the serial number of your software in case you were talking to support. It certainly worked just fine as long as you had valid activation.

Then one day I was at a meeting at a customer's site and I had forgot to borrow a license before I left the office. No problem, Grace mode will save me. Wrong. I couldn't edit programs at all. It turns out, grace mode looks at the serial number to determine what level of function to grant you. Invalid serial number = service mode. If the first part of the serial number is the correct code for "professional" then that is what you get.

Last edited: