Fluke or Flir multimeters

Story Time

Do you youngsters know when that is?

I worked in a factory where we provided a Fluke 754 documenting process calibrator as part of our machine, complete with a long document describing every step we took to calibrate and document our critical temperature sensors.

The customer promptly hid the Fluke in a desk and used their own calibrator, an ancient Yokogawa unit that required you to carry a flask of icewater for a zero point. In the summer, there was a helper whose whole job was to run back to the lunchroom and requisition ice.

They also used another Yokogawa voltage source unit to check our limit sensors, but half the time when they connected it they would leave the output selector at 24V and damage the Thermocouple input module on the PLC. This led to them complaining bitterly about what junk the PLCs were. This wouldn't have happened if they'd been using the Fluke and following our instructions. It certainly never happened our other customers, using identical I/O systems.

Eventually they figured out how to use RSLogix 5000 to attempt to calibrate the thermocouple modules they were damaging, insisting that they weren't damaged but rather mis-calibrated. Now the PLC calibration was off, too.

I visited the site with another process calibrator and set up a bench lab to compare my tools to theirs. Sure enough, that icewater-dependent Yokogawa unit was off by about 3 degrees F. I proved it with another independently calibrated millivolt source.

"Ken, that's simply not possible. This is our master reference instrument, and it is operated only by our master calibration technician. He has been doing this since before you were born. It is not possible for him to be wrong."

I know that this process won't be damaged by having all the temperatures be a few degrees too hot, so I simply gave up. But it was an important lesson on the weakness of objective fact when it runs up against cultural deference to authority.

When I got the Fluke 77 my Simpson 260 retired but did come out for those times an analog meter worked best. Do you youngsters know when that is?
I still use my 260 to read voltage on the output of a VFD. I have to do it when nobody can see me though, because it isn't Cat III rated.

I have a Flir thermal imager from before they got in bed with Extech. I've always been a Fluke guy (so I'm biased) but I've worked with individuals using Extech meters and was not impressed. Haven't seen the ones with Flir paint on them, but I don't have high hopes for them.

I still keep a Simpson in the truck for checking shunt field leads on DC motors. It was my grandfathers, so it's got some serious age on it and is still ticking...

The smartphone can call out the meter values audibly. Think about the last time you had to perch your meter precariously so you could see the display while you touched the probes to a circuit. Or the last time you had to go fetch a helper to read the display while you placed the probes.

I have a Fluke 233 with a detachable screen. Back of the screen is a magnet. Great meter.

At first, I figured that a Bluetooth connection to a smartphone was just a silly gadget. But then he started demonstrating it.

The smartphone can be a datalogger, grabbing minimum or maximum or average or trend values from the meter. It can e-mail them or create an HTML or PDF report or save them as a CSV file or an SQLite import file.

Ken have you tried Fluke Connect ? I think the IR3000 will do the same but you need to have a 287,289 or 789

http://en-us.fluke.com/products/all-accessories/fluke-ir3000-fc-connector.html

More reading material http://toolguyd.com/fluke-connect-wireless-meter-system/

I was at a trade show yesterday and saw a new Fluke DMM that now has a thermal imager built-in. There is a little flip-up cover that protects the camera lens, it's a Model 279FC

Me want so bad...
F-279fc-03b-ko-600x402.png

I had an incident early in my career where a cheap meter exploded when used on 800V DC (not by me !) that colored my opinion in favor of proven-safe, durable Fluke meters. I bought a Fluke 87-V to reward myself for passing the PE exam.

But a co-worker showed me a meter yesterday that blew my mind.

http://www.redfishinstruments.com/

At first, I figured that a Bluetooth connection to a smartphone was just a silly gadget. But then he started demonstrating it.

The smartphone can be a datalogger, grabbing minimum or maximum or average or trend values from the meter. It can e-mail them or create an HTML or PDF report or save them as a CSV file or an SQLite import file.

The smartphone can call out the meter values audibly. Think about the last time you had to perch your meter precariously so you could see the display while you touched the probes to a circuit. Or the last time you had to go fetch a helper to read the display while you placed the probes.

It even geotags your saved measurements. Can't remember exactly which substation you were at when you created that trend ? No problem, it'll tell you precisely where it was.

It doesn't have to be connected to a smartphone; they've used it with Android-powered watches or wearables. My colleague was using an iPod touch. It's still got its own display and onboard storage.

Standard 1000V Cat III probes/ 600V Cat IV.

A hundred and fifty bucks. In stock at Amazon.

dang it, literally saw this meter in the pawn shop last week. should have bought it. it gone now.

I lost my Fluke 87 in a fire at our facility last year and I had seen the Flir meters at a trade show so I took a chance and bought one to see how it compared. The Flir is much better quality than any Extech meters that I have seen and the DM93 (which is the model I bought) is very comparable to the Fluke 87 in most specs and has some neat features that I didn't have with my Fluke. We have Flir thermal camera and my meter can communicate with it embedding readings into the pictures. It It seems to be about as rugged as the Fluke but time will tell.

own a two 77's from 1992. still work, but also thinking of an upgrade. so many features offered on non fluke models for the buck. tempted.

I had an incident early in my career where a cheap meter exploded when used on 800V DC (not by me !) that colored my opinion in favor of proven-safe, durable Fluke meters. I bought a Fluke 87-V to reward myself for passing the PE exam.

But a co-worker showed me a meter yesterday that blew my mind.

http://www.redfishinstruments.com/

It even geotags your saved measurements. Can't remember exactly which substation you were at when you created that trend ? No problem, it'll tell you precisely where it was.

It doesn't have to be connected to a smartphone; they've used it with Android-powered watches or wearables. My colleague was using an iPod touch. It's still got its own display and onboard storage.

Standard 1000V Cat III probes/ 600V Cat IV.

A hundred and fifty bucks. In stock at Amazon.

I used to use a Fluke 179 but have now moved to a Fluke 3000FC which also has wireless bluetooth connectivity to Fluke Connect Android or iOS app similar to what you mention above.

Can store trends, images, email reports, etc. The app still needs a bit of polishing but the core functionality is there and working.