FactoryTalk Gateway setup for OPC UA

Maestrom38

Hello all,

In a current project we are trying to connect an R.A PLC (CompactLogix) to an OPC UA client/server.

To do so we first installed RSLinx Classic Lite on the supervision machine to setup the DDE/OPC connection with the PLC, which so far seems to be okay.

The second step was to install FactoryTalk Gateway locally on the supervision machine to connect to the OPC (server?) configured with RSlinx. But here is the issue, even though FactoryTalk Gateway is able to browse the PLC on the network, it can't connect to the Topics OPC Topics created in RSLinx.

I tried to configure FT Gateway in Local or Network via the configuration console but nothing appears on the list.

Does anyone already used and configured FT Gateway ?

PS: On the FT Gateway Configuration console we have the following error : RSOPCGateway.xml configuration file error.

Thanks by advance,

Greg

With FactoryTalk Gateway we use RS-Linx Enterprise (not to be confused with the various flavors of Classic) for connection to the Control-Logix and Compact-Logic processors. In this scenario FT Gateway is the OPC server.

RS-Linx Classic Lite does not have OPC server capability, and I do not know of a way for FT Gateway to use Classic Lite for OPC services. FT Gateway can provide OPC through one of the Classic OEM or higher, which require paid licenses.

If you have FT Gateway and do not need OPC services to legacy processors (e.g., PLC-5), then RS-Linx Classic is not necessary; you only need RS-Linx Enterprise, which comes with FT.