Hey Panel Builders... any good wire tie guns?

geniusintraining

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Anyone have any recommendation for small wire ties guns... other than dykes and needle nose

I use a lot of small wire ties (4 inch) and had a good gun that would cut the extra as it tighten the strap but its gone now and I have given up looking, I have a couple others but they suck, most of the time dont cut or slip as they are tightening, I remember seeing a rechargeable one once but the price was ridiculous

Last edited:
I have one I used a lot when I was working in Alaska rewiring process machines. It had an adjustable tension feature, from small wire ties to larger ones. It removed the excess and left it smooth where it was removed so it wouldn't scratch the back of your hand. I don't know if it was by Panduit or T & B. I can check and let you know. Manually operated.

We don't let our panel shop use wire ties. I find them to difficult for someone in the future to trouble-shoot a panel. Especially if they lost the drawings (or an Engineer has them locked up). We only use Panduit and the retainers (sometimes a short piece of air lines works too) to hold the wires in while the covers are off. For wires going to panel doors we use the wrap every few inches. This way if you need to tug a wire to trace it, it will still move.

+1 for Panduit GTS-E. Ergonomic handle and easy to adjust.
I'm not a believer in "cheap" tools and prefer to invest in quality ones I know will be reliable over the long term.

Have had the GTS-E for 9 years. Never let me down and still going strong.

JaxGTO,

100% agree with no wire ties in the wire duct.
53 cable ties in a 10 ft section was a pain.

we use the ties for the wiring directly out of the rack to the duct.
we cut short pieces of the duct cover to keep the wiring in place as we wired the panel.

james

Really, it almost doesn't matter.
I have a Panduit gun in my toolbag, and one from Automation Direct.
As long as you set tension proplerly, they all tighten up correctly, and shear the zip-tie end leaving nothing to cause bleeding later on.

That said, if you are ever doing network (Ethernet/Fiber) cabling, DO NOT USE ZIP TIES (emphasis) PERIOD.
A roll of Double Sided Velcro is the ticket for those applications!!!!!