Help With AdvancedHMI

Hey Mike,

When you say "missing toolbox", do you mean the entire Visual Studio Toolbox that would be docked to the left side of the Visual Studio window? Or is the toolbox there and nothing in it? Maybe a screenshot would help. Also, what version/flavor of Visual Studio are you using?

edit: if the entire toolbox is missing, go to the "View" dropdown menu and click Toolbox

I go to view, then open the toolbox.
another question:
How is AdvancedHMI working? can I open one HMI (created by Visual C#, embedded by windows 7) with AdvancedHMI? like factory talk view ME ( we can view HMI screen, then we can edit it).Do I need a virtual machine ?
Thank you very much!

AdvancedHMI is basically a set of communication drivers and visual components that are designed with/for Visual Studio. Think of it like an add-in for Visual Studio.

Visual Studio lets you create Windows programs, AdvancedHMI adds the ability to make a graphical interface to various PLC's in your Visual Studio programs.

edit: You do not need a virtual machine.

Last edited:
I am sorry! I have another question:
Do we need to install AdvancedHMI inside of our HMI? since I thought that we can edit our HMI connected with Ethernet with AdvancedHMI in my computer, I can ping our HMI with my computer.
Thanks!

You don't really "install" AdvancedHMI. You develop your HMI in Visual Studio, then when you build it, you get a directory that contains all the supporting files, including an AdvancedHMI.exe. Running the .exe will run your application.

The folder will be /AdvancedHMI/bin/Debug. If you plan on running the application on a different machine then you developed on, copy the entire Debug folder over to the machine that will run it, then run AdvancedHMI.exe.

That's the basic idea, if you need anymore detail, let me know.

Is there anyway I can open our exist HMI in my computer with Advanced HMI?
or I access our HMI , copy HMI files ,then put in AdvancedHMI to view the HMI, then i can edit it. after I edit it , i copy back to our HMI.

Thanks!

Is there anyway I can open our exist HMI in my computer with Advanced HMI?
or I access our HMI , copy HMI files ,then put in AdvancedHMI to view the HMI, then i can edit it. after I edit it , i copy back to our HMI.

Thanks!

Well you would need the original source code. Assuming that your project was in fact made using AdvancedHMI, whomever developed it should have left the source code with you. This is a requirement in it's licensing.= (GPL)

I misspoke previously on how you should transfer your application to another machine. You should transfer the entire project, source code and all, to the machine that will run it. This ensures that anybody that needs to modify it in the future, can.

Who developed your HMI project for you? They should have left the source code with you, hopefully on the machine that is running the HMI. If all the source code is there, you will find 3 directories, depending on the version (AdvancedHMI, AdvancedHMIControls, AdvancedHMIDrivers) and an AdvancedHMIv35.sln file.