Running a Beckhoff PLC as a VM?

riahc3

Hello

Beckhoff used to have a Windows CE VM where it was possible to run TwinCAT and run tests but it only ran on Virtual PC.

Is there something for VMWare Workstation, VirtualBox, or Hyper-V? Thank you

I am note sure do I understand your question right but are you trying to run your plc program in your computer? If you are using tC3 you don't need anything special. Just set your target system to "Local" activate configuration and run your program.

Last edited:
I am note sure do I understand your question right but are you trying to run your plc program in your computer? If you are using tC3 you don't need anything special. Just set your target system to "Local" activate configuration and run your program.
I want to run Windows CE in a VM and run TwinCAT on it as well. Just like I would in production.

Like i said. You can run and test your program in your computer without virtual machine even your target system will be WinCe. Just open your plc project, set target system to "local", disable I/O's on device tree, activate configuration and turn your twin cat to run mode. It runs exactly the same way as it runs in your target device.

Yeah, as Mara is saying, when you run it as local, it runs as a VM with the same OS it would use on the target PLC. There is no way to test more thoroughly besides actually running it on the PLC.

This is not the same thing.

In a VM, I need the AMS ID. In a VM, I need to install the correct libraries I need. etc.

Thats why I want to run a VM with Windows CE and TwinCAT.