AdvancedHMI basic documentation

Ken Roach

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I've downloaded and tried AdvancedHMI software, and I am very impressed at the sophistication and flexibility for a product of its type.

But am I missing out on basic documentation ?

For example, the PLC Properties for a Basic Button object has six different fields that can be addressed to the PLC:

PLCAddressClick
PLCAddressEnabled
PLCAddressHighlightX
PLCAddressSelectTextAlternate
PLCAddressText
PLCAddressVisible

I can intuit most of those things. And I could experiment with them until I figured them out. The "Click" is pretty much a no-brainer.

But after searching the Wiki and the website, I can't find any documentation for what the rest of the parameters do or examples of appropriate syntax.

So I've got to be overlooking something really basic. Should I be looking on the AdvancedHMI website, or the wiki, or the AHMI Forum ?

I see in things like the AHMI Forum where Archie himself explains stuff like this in detail, but I want to be sure I'm not contributing to re-hashing the same topics if I could be reading them in a document.

I look forward to contributing to the AHMI documentation and user community once I get myself pointed in the right direction !

Last edited:
The AdvancedHMI forum currently has the largest volume of information, but by the shear nature of a forum, the information is not organized and can be difficult to find what you want. To address this problem, the documentation wiki was created after being suggested by a few user. The wiki is far from what can be considered an extensive amount of documentation, but has been slowly growing. As dmroeder mentioned, the wiki is open for community contributions.

Any time a good question is asked, I try to add the answer to the wiki. To explain the PLCAddress properties, I added this page:

http://advancedhmi.com/documentation/index.php?title=General

Last edited:
PLCAddressClick
PLCAddressEnabled
PLCAddressHighlightX
PLCAddressSelectTextAlternate
PLCAddressText
PLCAddressVisible

PLCAddressEnabled, Text, and Visible are all "native" properties. If you leave these PLC addresses empty, then whatever you set in the properties is what will happen during runtime. If you have a PLC address, then the result will overwrite the property values during runtime.

Visible = If True then visible, If False then invisible

Enabled = If True then enabled (normal), If False then not enabled (grayed out).

One thing to note on visible and enabled, during initial form load, until these PLC values are read, the controls might be enabled or visible, when in fact you want the opposite. Generally what I do in these cases is make them fail safe by setting the properties to False, so on load they will not be enabled or visible until the PLC value is read and the appropriate state can be used.

Text = the result of this tag (string) will be used for the text of the button, not to be confused with text alternate (if used)

HighlightX = If True then the button will use the color in Highlight property, If False then the button will use the color in the BackColor property

SelectTextAlternate = If True then the button text will use the text in TextAlternate property, If False then the button text will use the text in the Text property.

You can test highlight and text during design time. Simply toggle Highlight and SelectTextAlternate property from True/False and you will see the button react.

Hope this helps.

1.png 2.png