PRODUCT SERVICE ADVISORY1768-L43 CompactLogix

olias

PRODUCT SERVICE ADVISORY
1768-L43 CompactLogix Controller Series A, Catalog Revision A01, Firmware Revision 15.07
Ref: ACIG 2007-02-001
Date: February, 2007
Dear Rockwell Automation Customer,
The purpose of this Product Service Advisory is to inform you of a functional issue that exists with:
• CompactLogix 1768-L43 Controller, Series A, Catalog Revision A01, Firmware Revision 15.07
This Advisory explains the functional issue and the steps being taken to rectify the situation.
- Issue Description -
With the CompactLogix 1768-L43 Controller, hereafter referred to as the 1768-L43 controller, the following functional issue exists:
Functional Issue – When activating forces, data will be improperly inserted in the force masks for the I/O module that is currently being forced.
When using RSLogix5000 software to enable, disable, or remove forces on the 1768-L43 controller, other inputs or outputs associated with that connection can experience unexpected changes of state. This can result in a change of state to an I/O point(s) that is not directly being forced by the programmer. We recommend that forcing NOT be used on any 1768-L43 controller running at revision 15.07.
-Temporary Workarounds -
No workaround is associated with revision 15.07 firmware.
PRODUCT SERVICE ADVISORY
Page 2
- Product Identification -
Product affected by this Mandatory Product Service Advisory includes CompactLogix 1768-L43 Controllers with the following series and firmware revision:
• CompactLogix 1768-L43 Controller, Series A, Catalog Revision A01, Firmware Revision 15.07 (initial release).
Rockwell Automation shipped/made available the affected products starting in April, 2006 to present.
To verify the revision of firmware that the system is running, open the appropriate project in RSLogix5000 software, click the controls properties window and view the current version of firmware installed on the controller.
- Issue Correction -
The functional issue described above has been corrected in the following, soon-to-be-released revisions of the CompactLogix 1768-L43 controller firmware.
• CompactLogix 1768-L43 Controller, Series A, Catalog Revision A01, Firmware Revision 16, scheduled to be released in February, 2007.
• CompactLogix 1768-L43 Controller, Series A, Catalog Revision A01, Firmware Revision 15.08, availability yet to be determined.
• Firmware updates are available on the Rockwell Automation website. To download the latest revision:
1. Go to www.ab.com.
2. Click Services & Support.
3. Click Get Support Now.
4. Click Firmware Updates.
5. Select Control Hardware.
6. Select the 1768-L43 firmware recommended in the Issue Correction section.
To correct the functional issue, upgrade your 1768-L43 controller to the latest firmware revision when available.
PRODUCT SERVICE ADVISORY
Page 3
-Requested Customer Action-
Each notified customer should take the following actions:
• Confirm that you have the affected products.
• Update the 1768-L43 controller to the latest firmware revision when available as stated in “Issue Correction”. Firmware updates are available on the Rockwell Automation website. To download the latest revision:
7. Go to www.ab.com.
8. Click Services & Support.
9. Click Get Support Now.
10. Click Firmware Updates.
11. Select Control Hardware.
12. Select the 1768-L43 firmware recommended in the Issue Correction section.
If you require any further technical assistance, contact Rockwell Automation Technical Support (440-646-3223 or [email protected]) or your local Rockwell Automation Sales and Support office.
We require and appreciate your immediate cooperation in this matter.

Yea, I was real happy too. Just switched from Contrologix to Compactlogix as our machines have 4 servo axis and the L$# is perfect and much cheaper.
Law of Rockwell products, "Wait for Rev. B"

Stuff happens.

At least Rockwell admitted they could and had made a mistake. I think the big issue is how quickly Rockwell fixed it. The other problem is how does Rockwell track down the people that have the bad firmware? Registration cards or registering the PLCs on-line would help but no body does it. If the manufacturers had a data base of what customers had a particular revision of equipement or software, they could send out specific e-mail to just those customers that have equipment that should be upgraded.

I am sure we all know of othr PLC manufacturers that never would admit a mistake and would be very slow to provide a fix.

Peter Nachtwey said:
At least Rockwell admitted they could and had made a mistake. I think the big issue is how quickly Rockwell fixed it. The other problem is how does Rockwell track down the people that have the bad firmware? Registration cards or registering the PLCs on-line would help but no body does it. If the manufacturers had a data base of what customers had a particular revision of equipement or software, they could send out specific e-mail to just those customers that have equipment that should be upgraded.

I am sure we all know of othr PLC manufacturers that never would admit a mistake and would be very slow to provide a fix.

Rockwell regularly sends these out and requires the Sales/Distribution channel to send these out to their customers. Unfortunately that's where it ends and I can understand why.
Most customers would say - "That Rockwell has a new problem every week, while I never have had issue with this other x".

Is ignorance bliss or just ignorance?

Just because you don't know there is a problem doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
automatic said:
Most customers would say - "That Rockwell has a new problem every week, while I never have had issue with this other x".
Only the people that force coils would have an issue. The case above is a rather basic error but some errors are so subtle that one may never find them in testing. You could have software that has flaws right now but your application may never find them.

I think Rockwell is doing the right thing by notifying people of the potential problems. This is good if the fix is also quickly available. The big problem is how to notify everyone with this PLC and firmware version and how to get the fix to them as quickly as possible.

Would you rather work with a PLC company that admits and fixes its errors or stonewalls everytime a bug is reported and is slow to fix the bug?

All known bugs are fixed. If you think that doesn't mean there aren't unknown bugs then you are kidding yourself.

What we do, as a distributor is this:

1) Check to see if we've ever sold any of the affected products during the time period in question.
2) I am then responsible for notifying the salesmen for these particular customers and ensuring that they forward their customers the "Customer Letter" that is included with each of these PSA's.
3) I then ensure that we don't have any of the affected products on our shelves and if so, have them pulled for return to Rockwell (if neccessary).

I have a sneaking suspicion that not all RA distributors actually do this. (But I could be wrong)