Renaming an RSview project

c4guy

Hello all,
I started an Rsview project which was supposed to be just a test project that I was playing around with to learn the program. Well the program evolved and turned into something usefull. I named the project to reflex my original intentions but now it does not fit the result. Like I mentioned I am just learning the software so I hope the answer isn't too obvious but I cannot figure out how to rename the project. I am using RSview32 works edition. I am also having an issue with moving the project to another PC. I seen in another thread that there is a tool to transport the project. I looked in my RSview tools directory and there isn't anything there that would allow me to do that. Do I just copy the whole project folder? I also seen something mentioned that AB writes to some registry keys when it saves a program which is why you have to move the file with thier tools...is this true? Thanks for any help

c4guy

EDIT: You may wish to ignore this -and follow the next post

I don't have the program in front of me and I've only worked with RSViewStudio ME so this may not totally applicable, but this is what I would do.

Close the application you are working on. No applications should be open but the RSView program itself should be open.

Under 'Tools' should be something named 'Application Manager'. In here are the tools you need. You can rename your project. Also you have the tools to transport your project to another computer which runs RSView. These are 'backup application' which makes a compressed version of the entire application including necessary registry entries. This creates a single file with an 'apa' extension. This 'apa' file is what you must copy to the target computer. Once there you can use the 'application manager' on that machine to 'restore' the application. This will not only recreate the directory structure it will also install the necessary registry entries.

Note that 'application manager' is also the tool to delete a project. Don't try to delete one just by deleting the directory structure. Many records will be left in the registry and RSView will be hopelessly confused.

EDIT: follow the next post. It appears tomalbright has experience with you exact configuration.

Last edited:
RSView32 lets you copy the whole darn thing. I regularly zip and unzip the closed project to other computers.

I'm not sure about newer versions, I am using 6.3 with no issues regarding transfer. The only thing about renaming is to simply save the file with another name. Also, just rename the filename (project.rsv) itself with Windows. There's nothing in the RSView file regarding its own name. You might run into issues with RSLinx and any topics that look for your RSView configuration, but that's fairly rare, I think.