PLC5 - Can't Perform Online Edit

salesm

Can't perform online edit on a PLC5. My problem is similar to this thread: [FONT=&quot]http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=61189

In the Processor Online Status toolbar, it says "Edits Active". However, I looked through the program and did not see any pending edits. Looked at the Status register as suggested by the above thread and noticed status bit S:1/11 is 0. So I have a different issue.

Performed some tests on a test bench PLC and noticed that status bit S:1/6 changes to 1 when "Test Edits" is executed and changes back to 0 the edit is assembled or untested.

Went back online with the questioned PLC and noticed status S:1/6 is 1. Guessing I just need to change S:1/6 to 0. May have to do this offline and download. I am on the right track?

Thanks in advance
[/FONT]

I'm not sure how you looked for edits, but the easiest way in RSL5 is to do a find all by the below method:

Go to the menu bar at top of page, select "SEARCH" then "FIND" (or use ctrl+F).

A dialog box will open up, at the bottom push button that says "RUNG ZONES".

Select any IRD zone, then press button for find all.

If S:1/6 is a "1" then you must have an I(insert), R(replace), or D(delete) zone somewhere in your program. If you do not and that bit is set then you should be able to change it to a "0" while you are running, but I suspect you will find an edit.

Performed the IRD zone search and no showed up. Kind of scared to set the bit to 0 when equipments are running. Will need to wait for a downtime.

How do I determine if I have enough RAM to perform online edit?

salesm,

Not sure this will help in plc5, but we had the same issue in slc 500.

Someone was editing the program online when a fault occurred, power fail or whatever. They went back online and couldn't edit. We had to save the program and look for the edits that way. we corrected the problem and had to download it into the plc. It fixed the problem, but still don't know the cause.

regards,
james

Under controller properties > General it will show you how many words are used and how much is free.

Does the error come up when you try to open edits or when you try to accept?

(With PLC 5 and 500 you can also just use ^A to search for I,R,D and ^E to search for open edits from the top bar or the search bar.)

Last edited:
Somehow, the issue went away. The "Test edits enabled" bit, S:1/6 is now 0 and the "Start Rung Edits" icon is no longer greyed out.

The other programmer said he did not do anything.

Guess it fixed itself.

I am having a similar issue now, I can start the online edit but when I try to verify it the ladder logo spins out of control very fast if I try to re-verify it says online edits failed going offline- at this point I can verify offline then download however I have to be sure I delete the un-edited rung that was started to edit while on line.

This is a new machine build, main PLC is a SLC 505 L552- I could do online edits just fine using RS232 and Ethernet then went to only using ether net- installed a second SLC 505 L551 for encoders only using 2 fast source cards for 10 bit encoder inputs one output card in a 4 slot rack still all good with the online edits - then I installed 2 more Micrologicx 1000 controllers and used 2 Ethernet IP to RS232 adaptors assigned the address I can connect and to uploads and down loads from all 4 PLC's but after installing the Micrologicx to the network online edits became impossible. I disconnected the Micrologicx from the network and still have the issue. Today I will go through the program but having verified all 4 PLC programs in all 4 PLC's and performed downloads to all 4 I don't see why I can't do online edits on the SLC 500's

I found that when the logo start spinning like that, simply click on the logo and it usually regains comm's with the PLC. Every time this happened to me I was using an Ethernet connection.