AB vs AD terminal blocks.

[email protected]

Lifetime Supporting Member
I proposed substitution of Allen radley TB's with Automation Direct.. and my customer said. "no way, the plastic is soft and they deform"

I told them I woudl look into that claim and respond. I then called ADC and asked for a Durometer spec or ShoreA hardness rating of their plastics and they said it is likely not available..

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I recall years ago Doug Bell from ADC telling me ex AB engineers started that product line... but ADC y-day tells me they are made in Italy.

Perhaps there was a change I wasn't aware of ?

We switched from A/D to A/B a couple of years ago. The A/B blocks might be ever so slighter better quality in my opinion (comparing 1492-J4 to KN-T12GRY).

The A/B blocks we are using are also taller which can cut into space for field wiring. They also have a nice curved wire entry area which makes stabbing in the wiring easier. They are much more expensive.

I have not had any major problems with the A/D blocks, but we hired a guy who is very brand loyal and I am sort of indifferent when it comes to that sort of commodity type items so I let him push us to switch brands.

Out of about twenty boxes from A/B, I have not had any defects. Out of a similar number from A/D, maybe four or five with bad screws or other minor issues. I can't tell any difference in elasticity with my bare hands.

I would use what the customer likes...

I would use what the customer likes...[/QUOTE said:
exactly.

p.s. I wish I knew a guy that could buy phoenix local.

not familiar with their products, but automation direct leaves a bad taste in people's mouths sometimes. Referred to as the Harbor Freight of automation.

Last edited:
I have used AD, AB and Phoenix Contact. In my opinion AB and PC are about the same in quality and as Oki said the AD is just a slightly lower quality.

I have several panels out in the field with AD TB's and haven't had any issues at all. So I wouldn't worry to much about that.

I always purchased Phoenix Contact Terminal Blocks at my previous company and really liked them a lot. Never any problems.

At this new company, my counterpart is all about Automation Direct EVERYTHING. (Starting to think he has stock in the company or something)
Have been here a year and have not seen any problems with the AD terminals.
They do feel a bit cheaper than the Phoenix Contact...... maybe that is because they cost less also.

Bang for the buck....AD works just fine.

Budget not a factor...... Buy Phoenix Contact.

(I've never used AB terminals so can't comment on them)

BCS

Used A-B for the most part from the 80's. Switched to AD about 11 years ago and never no issues. Phoenix rep will match or beat AD prices on terminal blocks. I exclusively have been using Phoenix interposing relays in the past year because for $6.20ea, you can't really beat that.

I am switching from AD on our next panel. I think I am going to try a push in style next. I worked on a panel that was a complete wreck and way too small and the push in saved my sanity. Probably gonna try Phoenix Contact or Weidmueller.

Good thing about the AD is they are pretty cheap and you can even find some great deals on ebay. Also, I just prefer going to the website and picking what I want and ordering it.

Oh, we have also been screwed by receiving a double stack that had a jumper between the top and bottom levels on the AD blocks. That was an interesting find on the checkout. Luckily we fuse the panels properly and it did not destroy any equipment.

I have no experience with AD's newer Konnect-It line, but I used their DINnector series for many years. I always felt the triple-level blocks were kinda flimsy.

If I recall correctly, they changed their jumper design a few years ago, which required stocking different parts. I decided that was a good time to quit using them, and switched to Altech (Connectwell). Galco stocks all the different ones I use at a decent price. No free shipping, but I get a free chocolate bar with every order! (y)

🍻

-Eric

This is in reply to the comment about AD being the Harbor Freight of automation. I usually hear them referred to as the Walmart of automation. I think both statements are unfair. As a local distributor and integrator of other products, I understand why distributors would bad mouth them. I also know that none of their product I have used are garbage, and most are pretty good. Tech support has always been great.

Tech support has always been great.

They were great as far as picking up the phone to talk with you.
Not so great following up and getting back to you though.....been weeks and have not heard a peep back from them.

There products are OK, but you gotta admit they are not in the same league as Allen Bradley if we are comparing apples to apples quality.
(But then again the price is not apples to apples either by a big margin.)

Personally I would rather be using AB PLC components and drives if I was making the call.
Since I am not, I have to use AD and just learn to live with it.....it works, we run and production moves on, but it is certainly not my preferred brand by a long shot.

If I were the one writing the check for the material I might feel different and have some incentive to warm up to AD a bit more. The price is certainly right and the quality is not that far out of line for the bargain basement price you pay for the stuff.

BCS

They were great as far as picking up the phone to talk with you.
Not so great following up and getting back to you though.....been weeks and have not heard a peep back from them.

There products are OK, but you gotta admit they are not in the same league as Allen Bradley if we are comparing apples to apples quality.
(But then again the price is not apples to apples either by a big margin.)

Personally I would rather be using AB PLC components and drives if I was making the call.
Since I am not, I have to use AD and just learn to live with it.....it works, we run and production moves on, but it is certainly not my preferred brand by a long shot.

If I were the one writing the check for the material I might feel different and have some incentive to warm up to AD a bit more. The price is certainly right and the quality is not that far out of line for the bargain basement price you pay for the stuff.

BCS

I agree 100%
But I guarantee AB doesn't make them, and I bet someone can buy the for 10 cents.