Angle display

JeffKiper

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I have a bender that is a dumb induction motor running a gear back and forth to bend the material. The operator has a small tick mark that they bend to. They want a angle display. I'm looking for a stand alone display system. They move these benders with forklifts all the tiem.
I was thinking resolver or magnetic encoder but I haven't seen anything that would be an simple and easy for implementing.

For simple, could you use a potentiometer and a cheap panel display?

These "simple" projects always end up needing a controller. You'll end up calibrating the !@#$ thing all the time if you don't have an automated way for the operators to home it. Then they'll always be bending the homing prox mount.

Buy them an electronic protractor with a magnetic base. Mine came from Matco, but I'm sure there are cheap ones out there.

Last edited:
That Turck unit could work. I've used a similar device from Fraba on dancer arms.
I don't know why I forgot it, worked very well. You could parameterize it with putty or hyperterminal.

Last edited:
They move these benders with forklifts all the tiem.
Then I would be thinking about something cheap and disposable. Google 'digital angle gauge'. The ones woodworkers use to set up saw blades are only about $30 to $50. I'm sure you can figure out a way to permanently attach it instead of the magnet.

🍻

-ERic

Guy you know sometimes the trees get I the way of the forest. That little digital angle gauge makes life simple. These benders are basically conduit benders.