Net eni

shoelesscraig

Okay, I've got a NET ENI hooked to a SLC 5/03. Its been that way for years, works great.

Recently, I have had a problem however. When I go into Linx, the node has started coming up with a red X over it. But, I can still ping the IP address. And...and here's the kicker...the SLC is still communicating with our main controller (a Controllogix) with no problems. The SLC also uses the ENI to talk to the CLX and this still works great...messages in the CLX are showing "done" and info is being transferred.

So, I know that the ENI is working to a degree, but it will not show up in Linx so that I can online with the SLC. First time I've seen this problem. Usually it just quits working altogether. The only thing that I know that has been changed in the recent past was that the firmware was updated to OS302. The ENI is the newer "series D" I believe it is called. So I can't really see how upgrading the firware when coupled to a newer model ENI would be a problem.

Any ideas of what I should try?

My guess is that the Net-ENI's connection limit has struck again. The Net-ENI can carry on only six total TCP connections; two incoming, two outgoing, and two either way.

There's one outgoing to the ControlLogix, and one incoming from the ControlLogix, leaving three incoming available.

Check your network carefully for RSLinx stations set to Autobrowse. If somebody leaves an RSWho window open, that station can take up an incoming connection.

You can check the connections in use on the Net-ENI via Telnet as described in this RA Knowledgebase document (public access):

http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/68548

Ken, thanks for the link. I will definitely try doing the reset, but I'm not sure that this is going to end up being my problem. There is only 1 computer that I use to access this ENI (and no one else in the building has access or knows how). So, I just don't see how all of the connections would be taken up. But, I've been wrong before...

The Telnet command is great. Didn't know you could do that. That will come in handy for sure b/c I've got more than a dozen ENIs floating around the building.

And Ken...are you saying that I've got 1 incoming and 1 outgoing because I'm doing 2 messages in the CLX??? (1 reading and 1 writing). I just want to make sure that a read instruction in the CLX doesn't actually count for 2 "connections".

Even if it did, I am using the same setup on ALL of the other ENIs I have in the building...no problem with them.

AFAIK each message counts as one connection no matter the data size transferreed in the msg.

The problem with connections is that soetimes they don't release when they should for one reason or another. When you are close to the limit and a connection does not release problems appear.

To update this thread, I checked the connections...only 2 were used. I finally got the machine on a down day. I tried the reset that Ken suggested, and it worked great. Now, the ENI shows up in Linx with no problem. I guess sometimes things just need a reset in order to be happy.