PLC & scada project

xman01

i am doing a final report/project to obtain my industrial instrumentation diploma and i need some help from xperts

i got a pneumatic 4150k level controller on a natural gas slugcatcher

i also have a scada system using plc and has a level indicator that's connected to the slugcatcher.

what i'm trying to do is see if it's feasable replace pneumatic level controller with the existing scada and plc system on the gas compound

the supervisor doesn't want to release info on it and i tried to go through different channels with no luck and right now i'm out of time.

i don't know how the rs232 lines connect and how the level indicator interfaces with it. i have basic knowledge on the rs232 and programming plc

what i need some to help me with is basic overview on wiring layout, nothing manufacturer specific and

i know that the plc can be used for controlling but i was wondering if its connected to scada if i can change the setpoint and gain from within scada

cause from what i did in school you have to hook it up to your serial port load up the software, make changes and download.

now if it is that i can do setpoint changes to the plc from within scada i won't need to implement a controller, which would make removing the pneumatic controller very cost effective for my final report

if it is that it can't be done no way no how,
how would the controller be added to the system, hardware and if applicable the programming side

but i was wondering if its connected to scada if i can change the setpoint and gain from within scada
YES!!!!!

I have set up Citect SCADA to alter setpoints in PLC's and even in BMS systems using BACnet (YUCK!!!!)

Have set up to write to timers, registers, counters, bits etc etc.

Even have thumbwheels on the screen to make things nice and easy.

i did in school citec hmi
and the plc i also did was the s7 226 i think

i was also wondering if the existing pneumatic controller outputs to a split range what would be the best theoritical thing to do to make the plc take control of it

change the pneumatic split range to analog or just add an i/p converter