Logix 5000 MAM question

magicsmoke

MAM.JPG

If I understand this right if the frame clamp complete os goes true and triggers the MAM the MAM well stay active until complete or if a MAS is triggered. I think the programmer forgot to put frame_width_size for the postion in the MAM.

Am I on the right track or did I just get derailed????

magicsmoke said:
MAM.JPG

If I understand this right if the frame clamp complete os goes true and triggers the MAM the MAM well stay active until complete or if a MAS is triggered. I think the programmer forgot to put frame_width_size for the postion in the MAM.

Am I on the right track or did I just get derailed????

Yes you are, once the OSr is true the MAM starts and it will be an absolute position MOV whic will move the axis to Position=0.0

If you do want the axis to go to the Position "Frame_Width_Size" then the actual Position of the MAM has to be "Frame_Width_Size".
Not sure what your application is looking for.

I was just wondering if this could be MAM that is faulting out the Ultra 3000 because it could never make it to absolute 0 for postion and I can't find a MAS anywhere in the program that would stop this MAM.

I generally do MAS in case of an emergency stop of some sort.
Once the MAM is done (Not DN bit but the PC bit) you can basically start the same or another MOV on the axis.
What I see is no "blocking" of some sort.
If an MAM is in process IP bit active do not allow the logic to generate/start the MAM until the PC bit is done.
One more thing that I've always done, use an OSR to start the MAM itself.
I've also seen high Accel/Decel values faulting the drives as well as speed units.
I assume there is an MAS someplace, you may have to look for it.
How do they do the MSO after a power up? Probably both burried in the same subroutine?
If you do know for a fact that the axis will never make it to the 0.0 position, I'd look into it, though, since the MAM is still active trying to reach position=0.0 but never does, the current MAM is always active.

The MAM does not require a MAS in order to stop the drive. The MAM will continue to execute move until desired position is reached or another motion command is given: MAM, MAJ, MAS, etc.
There are lots of causes for a fault. Is there an error code on the Ultra3000 when it faults? Typical faults: encoder wiring, motor type not set, axis not tuned, no Coordinated System Time master set.

The Ultra 3000 fault is E19 which is a Excess postion Error

Thanks for the help I'm going to try and put the frame_width_size in for postion on the MAM. The OEM hasn't called me back yet and they want to get this machine up and running. I just love getting in new machine's and debugging them you learn something new every day. Once again thanks for the help!!!

Magicsmoke

Was this machine running fine and then fault out or has it never worked right? With the rung comment "frame clamp complete", this MAM might reset by moving to 0. If it ever actually ran and now you are getting E19 position error, there may be a mechanical problem or if the servo has a brake, it could be hanging up.

steve

It was kinda working but not right the OEM keeps sending me updated program's to make the machine run right but hasn't got it right yet and I was trying to help him out since he's 8 hours away. And I was just trying to figure out what he was doing in the program and if it would really work.

Duh, is this a clamp?

If so the MAM command will not get to the commanded position but will instead clamp the frame. This would be intentional if this is a clamping operation. So what happens when the frame is clamped and the axis doesn't get to position, fault? First, isn't clear if the drive or controller is faulting. The drive doesn't know that it is clamping. It will keep on trying to get to the 0 position. Eventually a following error or current limit error will occur.

The thing to do is to go into a current limit mode where the drive and motor are still happy and the applied torque/force is enough to do the job without applying too much so the frame is crushed. It would also be good to change the set point so that the destination is just inside the frame. This way if the frame breaks the motor will not take off.

I would look for any available dual loop modes where the axis get to position or current/torque/force limit which which ever comes first. This is normally done with a low select algorithm but it must be built into the drive or controller.

MAM_re.jpg

Not sure what the "clamp" is but you may want to give this a shot.
Even if you get another "go command" to move the axis, as long as the IP bit is set, the second, or third MAM command will not be executed.