AB PLCs and Profibus.

Elcan

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,
I need your advice on this existing project where we are going to replace the existing Siemens PLC with an Allen Bradley.
We have to control around 15 Siemens VFDs and 2 Siemens Soft Starters, that are currently being controlled using Profibus.
In addition to that, we'll be adding near 10 new VFDs, probably AB.
There will be 40 DI and 40 DO, approx, plus some AI.

My questions are:
What is your AB PLC recommendation for this application? CompactLogix or ControlLogix?
Will we be able to handle around 30 VFDs using Profibus, even if we mix Siemens and AB VFDs?
What additional hardware do we need to manage the Profibus protocol? Only a Prosoft Master?

I will appreciate your feedback!

Looks like controllogix interface is all they have available. Usually CIP count is my defining factor on the logix vs. compact; however, there are instances where if the card you need is only available in the logix it makes your decision easier. I would suggest looking seriously into ethernetip for your ab drives. that is very easy to configure in the logix platform. I am not sure you will have the same simplicity in the profibus network. Also, if you choose profibus for the AB's check the limitations. I seem to remember reading of some limitations with the profibus adapter cards vs. ethernetip.

I hope you know this machine. I have seen s7's reading and writing to drive parameters on the fly. Especially if these are 6se70 drives.

Good luck

My point is have you dig in to how these drives are being controlled ?
What drive model are these?
What ppo type is being used ?
Are parameter read and writes being done ?
Are the drives using profibus peer to peer?

If you don't know what I'm talking about then you have a lot of homework to do

What process are these drives controlling?

My point is have you dig in to how these drives are being controlled ?
Currently is by Profibus, but I have not read the ladder logic.
What drive model are these?
Soft startes Sirius. VFDs models from the series MICROMASTER 440.
What ppo type is being used ?
PPO (Profibus profile object): no idea.
Are parameter read and writes being done ?
We need to read/write speed, and possible amps. We don't need to update the speed very frequently, though.
Are the drives using profibus peer to peer?
The idea is to control the Start/Stop and the speed from the PLC.
If you don't know what I'm talking about then you have a lot of homework to do
Probably yes...
What process are these drives controlling?
Screw conveyors, pumps, fans, mills, not very sophisticated stuff.

Thank you for your interest!

"PPO (Profibus profile object): no idea."

Look for VFD manual to find this one out.

Look for step7 hw config.

Maybe provide exact types of drives&starters.

By mistake, I posted this response as a part of a quote:
Soft startes Sirius.
VFDs models from the series MICROMASTER 440.