memory cards in Siemens PLCs

orense

Hello plc people!

One question about memory cards in the Siemens plc's...

In the old CPU 315-2 DP we were using EEPROM.
Then we had to Copy RAM to ROM to make sure that the plc still has the program if there is power lost...

In the new CPU 315-2, and most other new 300 Siemens plc's there is a small memory card and no place for battery...

Question:

Is there any need for doing the Copy RAM to ROM with the small memory cards, you can still do it and the Simatic is telling you it is doing it, but is there really any need??????

Thanks for answers :)

regards

Andreas

I used the new MMC several times and i didn't copy RAM to ROM and i didn't have any problem and everything works well. I don't think there is a need to make the copy (like the cellphone memory card).

It is not neccesary for copy RAM to ROM for for new CPU with MMC. Old CPU have Ram memory for for storing downloaded program. When Electric gone the program in the Ram also gone if no battery. when electric come, spare program in the EEPROM downloaded automaticly to RAM again and program run without problem.