Altivar 630 VFD Modbus Registers

Ones_Zeros

Hello,
I was having problems finding the correct registers
to read some of the registers on a Altivar 630 VFD.

I would like to read the following registers:
- Motor Starts
- Frequency
- Frequency Setpoint
- Power
- Speed
- Current

I have downloaded the Modbus register map
And I think my biggest issues is finding the
Correct scaling for these registers.

Do you guys know the registers and proper
Scaling that I need to use for these?

Thanks

Thank you

Would you know how to scale these modbus registers in Wonderware?
I can read these registers but cant seem to get the scaling correct

thanks,

I don't know what you mean by SCALING? (You should not need to scale anything)

I use these drives every day and communicate with modbus TCP. They use an Offset of +1 - so if you want to read address 3202(Frequency) you would have to address 3203. (and place the decimal 1 position to the left)

Current is at address 3204 but you would actually read 3205
Power is at address 3211 but you would actually read 3212

I think you have to divide the value with 10.
So you have drive running 50hz and modbus register gives you value 500 as WORD. Right?

The document i have added is for the atv71 but i have found that it is 99% accurate for the atv320 so i think also for the atv630...But this at least give you scaling etc...which i havent found for the newer drives

Hello @damica1

I don't know what you mean by SCALING? (You should not need to scale anything)

I use these drives every day and communicate with modbus TCP. They use an Offset of +1 - so if you want to read address 3202(Frequency) you would have to address 3203. (and place the decimal 1 position to the left)

Current is at address 3204 but you would actually read 3205
Power is at address 3211 but you would actually read 3212

The ATV630 Communication Parameters spreadsheet for me is not the easiest to follow. I guess its not knowing what the Code/Parameter abbreviations mean.
I'm able to get the common registers communicating correctly into Wonderware.

Here are the ones I can't seem to get right or I'm reading the wrong register all together. Can you assist me with the correct registers for these?

1. Motor Starts -

2. Frequency Setpoint - I'd like to be able to change the frequency Setpoint from my HMI, but I'd password protect this.

3. Frequency Register that show what the frequency is set to - Note..I have the Output Frequency but I would assume there is a register that shows what it is currently set to.

4. Drive state - I can read the register just fine but where in the spreadsheet does it tell you for example what a drive state of (4) represents?

5. Motor Speed -

6. Drive Faults -

7. Last 3 Faults of Drive -

Thanks again for your help!

Are you using SOMOVE to program this drive? If not you should be, it is FREE.

Are you wanting to control the Drive from an HMI connected to your PLC or the HMI on the Drive itself?

If you want to control from a separate HMI then you have to program the drive for a different I/O Profile, This is on Schneider's website.

Like I said SOMOVE will show you all the addresses you are looking for and what they are used for in the drive.

Motor Speed = SPD = 12004 (don't forget the offset +1)
LSP = Low speed setpoint = 3105 (.1hz)
HSP = High speed setpoint = 3104 (.1hz)
LFT = Last Fault Detected = 7121 (This is a word value as there is about 200 errors for this drive) example: a word value of 126 = Dry Run Error a word value of 23 = Motor Short Circuit error.

I don't know about the last 3 faults, you may have to record that in some type of array in the PLC.

damica1

I appreciate the information on the software SOMOVE.
I haven't used it before.

I'm monitoring the VFD drive status and doing some basic control remotely, like change the frequency (Hz) of the drive via our HMI software Wonderware.

The Altivar630 drive has a ModbusTCP port and the drive is connected straight
to a network switch. In Wonderware I setup a Modbus TCP (DASMBTCP) driver to read the registers from the drive.

Can I use the SOMOVE software to connect to the VFD remotely? This would be great if I could and monitor the VFD and see the registers.

Thanks again!

I would definitely use SoMove to configure the drive first.

There is an IO scanner table where you can configure a number of registers into a 32 word block of registers. That will make your network communications much more efficient (only one read / write) rather than multiple read and writes to different addresses.

And yes, you can fully configure and monitor drive operation as well as a basic scope feature for logging data / events

The SOMOVE software is asking for a password to connect to the drive.
It can't be the webserver password because its only 6 characters.

I tried ADMIN but doesnt work. Do these drives have a default password for connecting to them via Modbus TCP?

thanks,

damica1
Thanks for your help and time!

I will have to contact support, I'm still not able to connect to the ATV630 drive
via the SOMOVE software.

Keeps asking for an unlock password, which is 6 digits. I know the Webserver default password.
The number of digits are not the same as the unlock password.

Looking at some youtube videos this software really seems to be what I need.

thanks again

Last edited: