Connected Components Workbench and Micro 810 questions

Skidood

Hi Group

I was asked to quote on a project involving replacing a machine's control system. This machine would only require a very small PLC. I was looking at the A-B Micro 810 as a possibility.
This controller can be programmed using Rockwell Automation Connected Components Workbench free software. I downloaded this program last year and found it was like learning a foreign language, a little bewildering, and did not spend much time with it. I cut my teeth on, and am accustomed to working with RSLogix 500 and MicroLogix PLCs but I am not what you'd call an experienced programmer. But I am very comfortable with RSLogix 500.
I would much prefer to keep using RSlogix 500 but the simplest PLC you can program with it is the MicroLogix 1100 and that PLC is overkill for my application. I hate the idea of spending a bazillion hours learning a new programming software just to save a few hundred bucks on the PLC (by the way, this project is actually for 5-6 machines, not 1, so the savings realized by going to a real basic PLC like the 810 might be worth it)
Does anyone have anything reassuring to say about the CCW software? Is it clunky to use? Would I have to learn/read a lot of stuff if I already have good RSLogix background? Also, does anyone know if you can connect a non-Allen Bradley HMI (like something from AutomationDirect) to a Micro 800-series PLC?
Thanks in advance.

As more revisions were made, the better CCW has gotten. Version 12 is due to be released any time now and does look and feel a lot more like RSLogix/Studio 5000 which is somewhat similar to RSLogix 500. You might try downloading the current version (should be a version of 11) and see what you think. One thing to consider, Rockwell is pinning the future of lower end PLC's on the Micro800 line so at some point in time you are probably going to have to learn how to use CCW. Having said that, it is not the same and there will be a learning curve. This could turn into what's cheaper, your time or the PLC. There is nothing wrong with a MicroLogix 1100 and the lower end versions aren't very expensive.

As Firejo stated the CCW software has continued to improve with each version. Version 11 is actually pretty decent to work with. The Weinview HMIs have a Micro 800 driver available that's pretty inexpensive.

Micro1100 has Ethernet where the 810 does not. I would consider the Micro820 if you like Ethernet. Looking further, the Micro 810 doesn't support ANY Comms to a HMI apart from the 1.5" LCD you click on the front.

ccw is undoubtedly as different from logix500 as any other plc software. The only similarity would be the excellent relationship you get with your local Rockwell distributor.

If you can do without that local support, then there are other brands that can do cheap controllers, considering you will need to learn a new software anyway.

As discussed go with the Micro 820. They are not worth much more than the 810's and have more IO and Ethernet support.

CCW software has come a long way. We've managed to pack a fair bit of functionality into a few of our CCW projects.

If money is no object I'd rather program in a Compact/Control Logix every time, but the Micro 800 series have their place.

I built six machines with Micro 830 controllers instead of MicroLogix 1100 controllers about four years ago.

Having done the original programming in the early versions of CCW, and having maintained that fleet around the world (by sending fresh pre-loaded controllers and fresh pre-loaded Red Lion Kadets), I would choose the MicroLogix 1100 for a similar project. This is especially true if they were going to facilities that already have MicroLogix controllers.

If the fleet had been 50+ machines, I would reconsider investing in the skills and tools to use CCW or a CoDeSys based platform like Festo CPX or Wago.

Depends on how complicated the project is. If it can be done in a day on a ML, it may be worth trying on the Micro800s. If it's something complex, I'm not really interested in redoing libraries of code I already have for Logix 500.

Hmm..well I could easily do the program in a day using 500.

In the meantime I am checking out the programming software for the Click PLC from AD. The basic unit with no extra modules will suffice.
And yes I am going to want to use an HMI. Their 6 inch C-more would be a good choice.
And I downloaded a fresh copy of CCW to look at again.

CCW is not to shabby.
The HMI graphics kind of bite and the PV800 is over priced. However, it is decent equipment. I use lots of the micros of every flavor.
Go wit the Miro stuff or not, its up to you, but I would suggest that if you DO go with the Micro stuff.... DOn't get the 810. Spend the extra few dollars to get the 820. You won't regret it.

My 2 cents.

In the meantime I am checking out the programming software for the Click PLC from AD. The basic unit with no extra modules will suffice.
And yes I am going to want to use an HMI. Their 6 inch C-more would be a good choice.

(I might catch a little bit of flack for this, but here it goes)...
If you're doing multiple machines, all with same setup and that are going out to different locations, then I would use AB or at very least Schneider or Siemens. There are a lot of good low cost PLC's out there but longevity and "common knowledge" can make a big difference in the success of a project. I'm involved with one of the local fire departments and several years ago I wound up working on tying to figure out why a new updated compressor system on our Air Unit (Air as in breathing air, not aircraft) was not starting during colder weather. It was being controlled by an off brand PLC that the manufacture used to save cost. However I was able to quickly determine that one of the issues involved the PLC. The manufacture (once I was able to convince them it was their issue) tried to find someone locally to come out and look at the program but the closest person they could find was on the East Coast so they wound up sending their Engineer who still had to rely on the guy from the East Coast because he was new to this PLC.
Long and short is the more common a brand and model of PLC the easier it is to find someone who can work with it should the need arise.
Besides, a Micro 820 and PV800 make a good low cost system and are both configured with CCW.

Micro830 can kind of sits inbetween the 810 and the 820 in terms of comms, but is slightly better in terms of memory.

Micro830 all variables are retained, like a MicroLogix, whereas Micro820, you pick up to 400bytes of retentive data. The micro820 can read and write to a uSD card, but is a bit clunky. The micro810 has the same 400bytes of retentive data avail.

Micro830 has no ethernet port, but has an RS485/RS232.

lol..."not too shabby"...you musta grown up in my neck of the woods....

CCW is not to shabby.
The HMI graphics kind of bite and the PV800 is over priced. However, it is decent equipment. I use lots of the micros of every flavor.
Go wit the Miro stuff or not, its up to you, but I would suggest that if you DO go with the Micro stuff.... DOn't get the 810. Spend the extra few dollars to get the 820. You won't regret it.

My 2 cents.

Great advice. All the machines are in the same building in close proximity. I truly think the client would favour price over brand presence. The machines are not big ticket items and no production line is involved.

(I might catch a little bit of flack for this, but here it goes)...
If you're doing multiple machines, all with same setup and that are going out to different locations, then I would use AB or at very least Schneider or Siemens. There are a lot of good low cost PLC's out there but longevity and "common knowledge" can make a big difference in the success of a project. I'm involved with one of the local fire departments and several years ago I wound up working on tying to figure out why a new updated compressor system on our Air Unit (Air as in breathing air, not aircraft) was not starting during colder weather. It was being controlled by an off brand PLC that the manufacture used to save cost. However I was able to quickly determine that one of the issues involved the PLC. The manufacture (once I was able to convince them it was their issue) tried to find someone locally to come out and look at the program but the closest person they could find was on the East Coast so they wound up sending their Engineer who still had to rely on the guy from the East Coast because he was new to this PLC.
Long and short is the more common a brand and model of PLC the easier it is to find someone who can work with it should the need arise.
Besides, a Micro 820 and PV800 make a good low cost system and are both configured with CCW.

Hmm...400 bytes doesn't sound like much. Great rundown of the Micro line. TY.

Micro830 can kind of sits inbetween the 810 and the 820 in terms of comms, but is slightly better in terms of memory.

Micro830 all variables are retained, like a MicroLogix, whereas Micro820, you pick up to 400bytes of retentive data. The micro820 can read and write to a uSD card, but is a bit clunky. The micro810 has the same 400bytes of retentive data avail.

Micro830 has no ethernet port, but has an RS485/RS232.