a-b A I software

drewcrew6

Not a major question but someone has to do it.

Does anyone know when A-B is going to update the AI software to be compatible with the slc 5/03 series c proc. ?

Or have I missed that update, and just can't locate it?

Drewcrew6 :confused:

I dont think they will. As far as I know the AI software has been superceded by RSLogix. Regards

uragod Rockwell is only going to update the RSLogix series. The AI (originally ICOM I believe) is going to wither on the vine, so to speak, until it dies a natural death.

Rockwell Software is gonna let A.I. stay where it's at. They will support it, but as new processors come out, A.I probably won't talk to them. So we're being forced into the modern world of Windows Programming.

This was my experience. I got a new computer in 2000. (I convinced my boss I needed one for the Y2k thing). When I got the computer, I got RSlogix 5 and 500, a new ktx card to talk to the plc,s, And an autocad lite 2000 upgrade. I had been using A.I. and acad lite windows for a long time, and continued tio do so for about 8 or 9 months on the new computer, never using logix or acad2000. (I thought it would be less efficient to "learn" the new stuff)

So I get a project to replace some controls on a machine and (I decide it's time to bite the bullet and learn the new stuff--and I've never looked back. A.I. would be very cumbersome to me, now--not to mention the old cad package.

Take my advice--get logix and get it now. You won't be sorry.

The reason i asked this was bedause at work we have AI on the old laptop that all emt's use. Then we have a newer laptop with rslogix500 and a lot of the older guys with little experience with allen bradley and windows whatever. they don't like to get out the new laptop to troubleshoot only because they don't know windows and logix. It would be nice to update the AI so the old pc can be used with all the proc. and keep everyone and all prog changes limited to one pc. That way the few that use the rslogix right now has to make sure the progs match between pc's instead of forcing the guys with little windows exp. do that chore.

Personally I like rslogix over AI and I think everyone will once they get some training on it and windows. The only thing that can be a pain is using linx (getting the comms right when your not used to it can be a chore)

Thanks
Drewcrew6

I guess my lurking here all this time has not been noticed!

any way our entire complex (about 15 laptops for control work) is up to logix 500 and 5 with a select few with 5000 and rsviewme.

Curious How/Why you dug this old post up?

Drewcrew6

:ROFLMAO:

Someone last week dug up a thread from late 2002 to add an obvious comment which added nothing to the original thread.

So out of interest, I had a look for the oldest started thread and this was the oldest on the last three pages.

Possibly some older ones which had responses later to those pages lurking.

:site:

PeterW said:
...So out of interest, I had a look for the oldest started thread and this was the oldest on the last three pages.

Slow afternoon?

If you look at your browser address when you open the thread you will see a number 14 at the end of the address.
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=14

t=14 is a unique identifier for the thread. If you've opened the thread you may get more than that, which will cause the browser to automatically scroll to the last unread post.

Anyways, you can change the number 14 to any other number and see a different thread. 32898 seems to be the most recent thread at the time of this post. But if you change it to 13, or any number less than that, you get an error. So it looks like you have found the oldest thread in the database. But the forum has been around longer than that.

Last edited:
Interesting to see what were the hot topics of the day and who the main 'helpers' were back then.

I'm presuming that in those days the board was predominantly American (as this is the origin of the board) and therefore mainly if not wholly AB orientated.

Be interesting to see.

' Slow afternoon?'

slow couple of weeks, at the moment we are waiting for the starter to fire his gun, then I won't have time to be interested anymore. o_O