Any good vendor-flexible scanners out there?

strantor

EDIT: Just realized I left the word "FINGERPRINT" out of the title. Sorry. Can't change it.

I've been requested to implement fingerprint recognition for restriction of access to certain functions in a new system. The PLC is AD Productivity 3000 and the HMI is a C-More EA9. I have found a few scanners which look nice but they are meant for interface with specific same-vendor HMIs. I did find the Schneider XB5S4, but with a single digital output, a successful scan from 3rd shift operator is the same as a successful scan from Engineering. I would like something with (at a minimum) several digital outputs for several levels of authorization. But ideally I would like something with a communications interface (Ethernet/IP, RS485, RS232, Modbus, something) that tells the PLC exactly who's just scanned in.

According to my forum searches just now, I'm expecting the suggestion to use a barcode scanner instead. I'm not opposed to the idea, but that isn't what was requested of me. I want to exhaust all potential fingerprint solutions before coming back with that sort of compromise.

In the environments I work in we have tested finger print readers, and we found they can get dirty fairly quick with dust and grease, so we went with RFID readers with badges for machine access control.

This is probably why there are not more PLC-oriented fingerprint scanners. It's probably a common problem. The one you linked is, like all the other ones I found, meant to talk to something else, and trying to implement it with a PLC would probably require an undue amount of finagling. I feel I have dedicated (wasted) enough time investigating this, to go forward with the recommendation for [something other than a fingerprint scanner]. I see the fingerprint scanner now as an enemy of uptime.

Eyeball scanner?

(I don't know of any optical scanners designed for the PLC world either, but it'd solve your dust/grease problem, and look really, really cool)

Eyeball scanner?

(I don't know of any optical scanners designed for the PLC world either, but it'd solve your dust/grease problem, and look really, really cool)

"please place right arm under needle for DNA Identity verification... Please do not move while test is in progress... 3rd shift FNG confirmed... Congratulations, Operator! You have permission to operate the sack inflation lever. Enjoy your shift!"

We use the Schneider XB5S2B2L2 in conjunction with User Passwords. Once the password is entered, you have 5 seconds to identify with the fingerprint scanner. The password must match one in the list when the fingerprint is scanned. Unfortunately, that relies on the fact that nobody will get anybody else's passwords.

I saw this at one point http://www.biometricsolution.com/biometric-plc-access.html but never did any serious research on it. It seemed like overkill to install something like that on a 10 year old piece of equipment that only has about 3 years of service left.

"please place right arm under needle for dna identity verification... Please do not move while test is in progress... 3rd shift fng confirmed... Congratulations, operator! You have permission to operate the sack inflation lever. Enjoy your shift!"

gattaca! Gattaca!

"please place right arm under needle for DNA Identity verification... Please do not move while test is in progress... 3rd shift FNG confirmed... Congratulations, Operator! You have permission to operate the sack inflation lever. Enjoy your shift!"
:ROFLMAO:

Perhaps you just need to think laterally! Go with the barcode scanner, and then tattoo a unique barcode on all your employee's wrists!

Here’s a thought
I don’t know if this will work but it would interesting to try it and see.
Most HMI systems today are running on Windows operating system.
You may be able to setup the HMI to use the windows user information to set things in the PLC
I know Panelview allows you to use the windows user and password for the login
There are many USB biometric scanners available to scan and log in to the windows system
A little programming to put them all together.
I am sure that if you worked at it you would be able to make it work for you.
Let us know how you make out.