Basic Arduino Question

24V

Hi everyone,

I am new to Arduino and am interested in purchasing one for a project. Unfortunately, the Arduino Uno will not work for me as I require more digital inputs/outputs (roughly 20). Which basic Arduino board can provide me with this? I was looking into the Arduino Mega 2560 Rev3 but wanted to confirm before purchasing it.

Kind regards,
24V

Hi everyone,

I am new to Arduino and am interested in purchasing one for a project. Unfortunately, the Arduino Uno will not work for me as I require more digital inputs/outputs (roughly 20). Which basic Arduino board can provide me with this? I was looking into the Arduino Mega 2560 Rev3 but wanted to confirm before purchasing it.

Kind regards,
24V

What are you connecting to those pins? 5V? 24V?

The question was because if you needed to interface with a different voltage, you would require another chip or relay and could use an expander instead. Something like 25017 from Microchip.

If it's all 5V, then you're better off with a Mega.

Honest question, what uses does this Arduino have on an industrial machine? I see lots of people asking about them, but I can't think of a place to use them.

They generally don't. They are fantastic little devices, and they are cheap, but they don't have the support structure that more commercial devices have. You also can't just wire up IO, you have to provide the supplementary circuitry provided internally in most controllers. Lots of similar reasons. They do, however, have some use. Say for some reason you want to track how often or when something happens, you can customize a small pi or arduino and handle the situation, so you can solve little 1 off programs quickly.

They generally don't. They are fantastic little devices, and they are cheap, but they don't have the support structure that more commercial devices have. You also can't just wire up IO, you have to provide the supplementary circuitry provided internally in most controllers. Lots of similar reasons. They do, however, have some use. Say for some reason you want to track how often or when something happens, you can customize a small pi or arduino and handle the situation, so you can solve little 1 off programs quickly.

Thanks for the response, makes feel a little less out of the loop.

And, for PLC inclined people, there is no such thing as going online with it.