Free single station HMI

surferb

Lifetime Supporting Member
There is the other exciting surprise with the Ignition Platform release (evolution of FactorySQL and FactoryPMI). Inductive Automation is offering a free HMI called "Panel Edition". The limitations are that it doesn't have historical support (trending), database support, and only runs on the local PC (one instance instead of the usual ability to run on any computer(s) on your network). It is extremely capable as an HMI platform - you could even install multiple copies on separate computers - a lot like the traditional RSView model. The idea is that you use an Industrial Touch PC like one from AB, Hope Industrial, etc for small projects, or even supplement large ones. Since the OPC server is also free, you can do a whole project - for yourself or your customer, for $0 in software. I've seen a number of people on this forum doing home/student projects that this would be perfect for. It would also serve you well as a stand alone backup in the event of a failure for existing systems. Only OEMs and software companies can't have the software for free.

The way it works is you contact Inductive Automation for a free license - it applies to the "Vision" module (Formerly FactoryPMI). As soon as you activate the Gateway with that license, the 2 hour demo trial goes away. The Historian/DB capabilities will still run in trial mode. The HMI (Vision) projects becomes only launchable from the local machine. You can add/remove licenses if you purchase packages, want to revert to the fully functional (but 2 hour runtime locked) demo mode, etc.

I'd encourage anyone who might use Panel Edition on customer projects to set up an in-house demo in their office. You can download the software for free. The entire install literally takes 2 minutes. You also get free high quality support on the IA forums. Existing FactoryPMI customers will immediately recognize what a great deal this is!

Last edited:
Nathan, Cool news, I am just starting to look at the databasing stuff. Do you have any pointer as where to look for some sample stuff. I need to make a Excel read data from a PLC. Ofcourse our IT guys will not help me out. They say I can't get an OPC server om thier side of the network. So I thought about FTPing a CSV from one network to the other. Do you have any pointers?

Jeff - Can we take a step back and look at your setup and what you're trying to accomplish?
1. Are you looking for "realtime" or "historical" data from your PLC? Do you need to write to it or just read?
2. What kind of PLC are you connecting to? Do you have any existing HMIs, OPC Servers, programming software or other tools that might help here.
3. Could you describe your control versus other network and where the data needs to be accessible.

I have a few pointers:
1. IT likes to hear what your business requirement is, hopefully already blessed by management, then they can propose a solution. If it meets your needs great, if not, come back with reasons and suggestions. Bringing them implementation ideas and no justification, for example, "I need to install this on that machine", usually makes them defensive and stoppy.
2. Excel is rarely the "right tool" for dealing with PLCs directly. If you want to use it to analyze production (PLC) data, the better approach is to store the data in a Historian (SQL Database), then deal with queries/snapshots of data in Excel.

Nathan, Cool news, I am just starting to look at the databasing stuff. Do you have any pointer as where to look for some sample stuff. I need to make a Excel read data from a PLC. Ofcourse our IT guys will not help me out. They say I can't get an OPC server om thier side of the network. So I thought about FTPing a CSV from one network to the other. Do you have any pointers?

Yeah this was quite the surprise for me, being involved with this project for so long. I know it will be getting installed on my father in laws' homes' heating system this weekend. Let just say we call him Captain Overbuild for a reason. He has 2 sources of heat, and these sources run triple purpose of heating water for use in the house, water for use in his in floor heating system and the water is also used with an Air/Water heat exchanger to heat his house. He heats the water using either geothermal (because gas is so cheap, this is the expensive option) or a 98% efficient condensing boiler system. He will be putting in valves to control flow sources and destinations soon, and this is a PERFECT system for the single station install of Ignition.

Lol - I expect to see screenshots. You are going to use a Windows system since he's your in law, right? ;)

This is very interesting too, but I see this as a teaser only.
It is exactly OEMs that could use your software, and would be willing to pay for it as long as it is reasonable. Your licensing doesnt suit us OEMs, despite that the functionality could be a nice fit. Your licensing suits very big single projects.
I think you need a software package for the smaller need, but for larger volumes.

You could easily use multiple copies on separate computers for moderate sized projects. IMO, this delivers tremendous free value that goes beyond a "teaser". There's a new $3500 "Limited" version of Vision (FactoryPMI) that supports unlimited everything (tags/screens/db/projects) but is limited 5 concurrent runtime clients. You can run whole processes with that.

OEM licensing is dealt with on a case by case basis. They've done white labeling in the past. I know the sales guys would be interested in a high volume low price model. Beyond that - it's way outside my lane...

I aggree that it is tremendous value.
But as an OEM I am excluded.

The Limited Vision could be interesting for our larger projects. For our more series production type machines, I would need something even less expensive.
All that said, we are becoming deeply entrenched in our Siemens WinCC Flexible solution (despite its shortcomings), so it is unlikely that we will switch, even if an alternative shows up where both the price and the functionality were perfect.

Sorry, dont want to hijack your thread.

Jeff - Can we take a step back and look at your setup and what you're trying to accomplish?
1. Are you looking for "realtime" or "historical" data from your PLC? Do you need to write to it or just read?

Either, I have data in multiple PLCs that update only at midnight. The Plant manager wants to open his tracking spreadsheet and have it update for him just by opening it up. The downside of this is I don’t know anything about MACRO and can’t even spell VB.

2. What kind of PLC are you connecting to? Do you have any existing HMIs, OPC Servers, programming software or other tools that might help here.
Mostly AB PLC5. Several RSView32 (HMI we don’t use them as SCADA just HMI). No OPC Servers other than RSLinx Pro. I don’t think that is going to help me any. Is it? I have all the AB software that I need (PLC, HMI, and Linx PRO).

3. Could you describe your control versus other network and where the data needs to be accessible.

We have a VPN that the office network is on one side and the PLC & HMI systems are on the other side. The data need to be accessible to the office network. I have a few tunnels that I can get info back and forth between them. I was hoping to use them and have Excel get its updates from those locations.

I have a few pointers:
1. IT likes to hear what your business requirement is, hopefully already blessed by management, then they can propose a solution. If it meets your needs great, if not, come back with reasons and suggestions. Bringing them implementation ideas and no justification, for example, "I need to install this on that machine", usually makes them defensive and stoppy.

Yes you are correct. It seems that no matter what we try (justified or not) the corporate IT guys in France shoot us down. Because “the Plant data has no business being in the Office network”. SO everybody knows where this goes. It turns into doing things under the radar. Is that the best way to make things work? NO of course not but we always seem to get them done.

2. Excel is rarely the "right tool" for dealing with PLCs directly. If you want to use it to analyze production (PLC) data, the better approach is to store the data in a Historian (SQL Database), then deal with queries/snapshots of data in Excel.
You lost me. What is a SQL Historian?

I see where you're going with this....

On a computer that can be/is connected to the Plant network via VPN, you can work your magic. Since you have the licenses already, I'd start by trying RSView, then branch off to considering the dreaded Excel DDE and other options.

If the PLC5s are connected via Ethernet and you can ping them across the network (via VPN), you're in business to try the Ignition approach with the following steps:
1. Download and install the software
2. Connect to the VPN
3. Add a connection to the PLC5
4. Log into the Gateway config page with a web browser, then try to browse the PLCs memory space. If this works, you can access the quick client via any machine on your office network by web browser. (This step is using the free OPC server).
5. (opt) if you need to use the free HMI, you can set up HMI screens and register the "panel edition" - projects will only launch on this computer for licensing reasons.

On the Historian thing...I (incorrectly) assumed that you were trying to take snapshots to log data.

Mostly AB PLC5. Several RSView32 (HMI we don’t use them as SCADA just HMI). No OPC Servers other than RSLinx Pro. I don’t think that is going to help me any. Is it? I have all the AB software that I need (PLC, HMI, and Linx PRO).

We have a VPN that the office network is on one side and the PLC & HMI systems are on the other side. The data need to be accessible to the office network. I have a few tunnels that I can get info back and forth between them. I was hoping to use them and have Excel get its updates from those locations.

Yes you are correct. It seems that no matter what we try (justified or not) the corporate IT guys in France shoot us down. Because “the Plant data has no business being in the Office network”. SO everybody knows where this goes. It turns into doing things under the radar. Is that the best way to make things work? NO of course not but we always seem to get them done.

You lost me. What is a SQL Historian?

No problem. OEMs are excluded from a free version. The new licensing model in Ignition allows great flexibility in limiting the scope in any way (time, concurrent clients, tags, history, etc). As an OEM with well defined requirements, they would love the idea of working out a deal. As a first step, though, you'd really need to build an application and make sure that it meets all your requirements - this can be done completely with a demo version. I understand the situation of being entrenched in whatever you're currently using. It is a serious business decision and you have to support your existing user base.

I aggree that it is tremendous value.
But as an OEM I am excluded.

The Limited Vision could be interesting for our larger projects. For our more series production type machines, I would need something even less expensive.
All that said, we are becoming deeply entrenched in our Siemens WinCC Flexible solution (despite its shortcomings), so it is unlikely that we will switch, even if an alternative shows up where both the price and the functionality were perfect.

Sorry, dont want to hijack your thread.