OT: High-Leg 240 ground fault relay. Who makes one?

jdbrandt

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a 240, 3 phase High-Leg power feeding a control panel.

Since there are heaters without Ground Fault Equipment Protection, there is a need for a Ground Fault alarm.

Does anyone know of a source for such a device, with the unbalanced (to ground/neutral) voltage that is present on this arrangement?

Also known as 'B phase', or 'Stinger Phase', or 'Orange Phase' to some of the other old timers here.

Thanks, guys.

Try Bender

Have a look at Bender. They should have something which will do the job. They have Ground Fault Monitors for grounded 3 phase systems with both internal and external CTs. I have used some of their products successfully.

If it is straight 3-phase with no neutral, then a GFCI shouldn't care about the voltage difference on the high leg (we call it a 'red leg' system here).

I'm not familiar with 3-phase GFCIs, but I would think it just senses an imbalance of current like the single-phase ones do... :confused:

🍻

-Eric

I would think like Eric that any GFCI would work that same way. Normally, all currents should mathematically sum to 0 (considering directional flows). If not, then somewhere there is a leakage to ground. As long as a GFCI is rated to handle the maximum voltage, then the currents should not be a problem.