AB PanelView 300 Micro communication issues

Clutchbone

I have three machines that are fairly identical and we wanted make a backup of the programs from the PanelView 300 Micros, 2711-M3A18L1 for each one of them (we had never thought to do this before). The Micros interface with three MicroLogix 1000, 1761-L 16BBB and we had one of these fail last year. I have a laptop running Windows XP and have RSLogix Micro Starter Lite version 8.10, RSLinx Classic Lite version 2.57 and PanelBuilder32 version 3.80 software and we have 1761-CBL-PM02 Cables that according to the literature should work to talk to the Micros but I cannot seem to get them talking or even seeing each other, I have no issues talking to the MicroLogix 1000’s just the PanelViews. When I do an auto configure it stalls out during the BCC scan (I have no idea what that is). I read the Micro’s book on transfers and it suggest I use the WinPFT program, which I did and I tried it in every configuration with no results both these programs do not see the Micros. The fail notifications are “check your cables” and “make sure you are not set for Printer on the port” and then “operation timed out” These are all paraphrased but you get the idea. Anyone have any ideas how I can get these operations working?

How are they communicating with each other? My guess would be the port settings are setup to let the devices talk to each other, which could be a different setting for how your laptop would talk to them.

Just a guess.

You are using the correct drivers in linx?

The PLC and the Micro are using a 1761-CBL-HM02 cable and are in constant communication with each other unless I disconnect the cable to try and access its information.

You're talking to the Micros through the same port that the HMIs are using?

If so, your protocol settings are probably right. Since you can connect to the MicroLogix, you can look in the RSLogix project for the port settings. I've found sometimes that adding a Null Modem adapter helps, but I don't think I use it for the HMI, just the PLC. But, then, I'm usually using just a standard straight serial cable.

I *know* I had a pdf that contained pinouts of a bunch of AB cables, but I can't find it. I've had it forever, so it may be on one of my external hard drives (not handy right now). If the cable works for both the HMI and the PLC, in my experience, you'll need a null modem adapter for one of them.

Yes the Micro has only one point of access it says it is an RS-232 8 Pin mini-DIN connector it is the same type of port used on the MicroLogix 1000. The Micro is the HMI, I have pin charts here but the books clearly state the cable I am using is the correct one to use.

Are you using a 1747-UIC?
I remember programming the Panelview Micro, the 1747-UIC wouldn't work.
I think that I just used the Keyspan USB to serial connector.

I am using the 1761-CBL-PM02 cable and it goes to a serial port on the laptop, the USB conversions didn't seem to work for us so we kept our laptops with serial ports.

The 300 Micro has only the round mini-DIN connector? The ones I've used had a DE9 connector and connected to the laptop using a regular serial cable (maybe a null modem, it's been a while and I can't remember).

Again, if you can connect RSLogix to the MicroLogix PLC through the same port the HMI is using, then you should be equally able to connect to the Micro 300 HMI.

I would be tempted to try a null modem adapter with the cable you have. It won't harm anything, just won't work if it won't work.

Ok, my memory is very faulty. I double-checked the Micro 300 we have here and it has just the mini-DIN connector. Weird. I think what confused me is that I would use a "standard" serial cable, possibly with a gender changer, to connect to the HMI through the AB cable by disconnecting it from the PLC (A ControlLogix L55 or an old PLC5).

Oops....that's what happens when you don't mess with something for a few years....

Ok, my memory is very faulty. I double-checked the Micro 300 we have here and it has just the mini-DIN connector. Weird. I think what confused me is that I would use a "standard" serial cable, possibly with a gender changer, to connect to the HMI through the AB cable by disconnecting it from the PLC (A ControlLogix L55 or an old PLC5).

Oops....that's what happens when you don't mess with something for a few years....

Do you know what protocol was used to communicate with the HMI? I did find a publication (2711-UMO14C-EN-P, chap 12, Pg 27) that shows a wire diagram for making a Null modem however it says nothing of its use or its protocol, heck it doesn't even say what kind of connector to use but I believe it is referring to the ones we've been discussing here. I am off to the surplus store to see if I can dig up some cables.

Our Micro 300s are all RS232, as far as I know. If your PC can communicate to the MicroLogix using the same port as the Micro 300, then your PC should be equally able to talk to the Micro 300.

In a nutshell...

A "null modem" cable is just one that crosses over pins 2 and 3

Straight cable looks like this

PC slave device
pin 2 pin 2
pin 3 pin 3
pin 5 pin 5

A null modem/crossover looks like this:
PC slave device
pin 2 pin 3
pin 3 pin 2
pin 5 pin 5

In the "old days", the PC would transmit on pin 2 and the slave would receive on pin 2. The slave would then transmit on pin 3 and the PC would receive on pin 3. A Null modem cable interchanges those pins so that 2 PCs can talk to each other.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Null_modem

The cables you have 1761-CBL-PM02 and the 1761-CBL-HM02 are null modem cables.
They are the correct cables, no additional adapters are needed. A little confusing as the other Standard PV's use a straight thru cable, the Micro is different.

The catalog number you posted 2711-M3A18L1 supports DF1 protocol. However the protocol can be changed with firmware to DH485.

Take a look at the offline file for your ML1000 to see how the comm port is configured.
If you need help with this post the .RSS file ( zip it first) and someone will help look.

The default settings for your PV (DF1 protocol) is 9600,none,1,CRC no handshaking.
You might try setting RSLinx to these setting manually. Then play with the baud rate.

Last edited:
First off the PM-02 cable should not need a null adaptor when connecting to the PC however it should also not connect the 1000 to the PV directly.
With that said the PV300 will work with both DF1 full duplex and DH485. The MicroLogix 1000 will do the same and it has an “auto switch” feature so that if it’s in DH485 mode and see DF1 on the comms port (in theory) it will switch over to DF1 and vice versa. I don’t know if the PV does the same thing but I’m guessing not. So, I’d try both the DF1 and DH485 (PIC) drivers in RSLinx without using the “auto configure”. I kinda remember hearing that if the device is a DH485 device and you try the DF1 “auto configure” function in RSLinx, when it tries to connect using BCC (CRC and BCC are error checking types) it sometimes locks up. With that said, when online with the MicroLogix you should be able to see what the default configuration of the port is and that should be the same in the PV. However, it is possible that the MicroLogix is set to one protocol and the PV the other and when the PV tries to talk to the MicroLogix, the MicroLogix switches over. Even if that’s the case the baud rate should be the same (between the two regardless of which protocol)
Try both protocols and see if you can connect. The long and short is you know the PV is working as the 1000 can talk to it so it’s just a matter of figuring out what protocol it’s set to.

Last edited: