Converting MeDoc to GPP Win

I currently have a project at work where I am supposed to replace our old F-series PLC's with new Q-series PLC's

It has come to my attention that our old F-Series PLC's use MeDoc to program in, and I was just wondering if anyone knows of a third party program, or perhaps a function in GPP Win that will allow me to convert the MeDoc file directly, instead of writing out the program from scratch.

I tried using the import file from GPP Win to import a MeDoc file, but it said something about the cpu being the wrong something or other saying that A/FX was a problem.

Hopefully someone understands what I am trying to do.

Any help would be much appreciated.

How about connecting to the PLC with GPP and uploading the file.

Simple enough!

You could also re-upload the program from Medoc and try to re-convert it.

Perhaps your backup is not good.

That's just it, I don't believe you can upload MeDoc to GPP via a connection from the PLC to the computer running GPP Win.

And what do you mean by try to re-convert it...I don't know how to convert it to begin with...that is the whole point of this thread.

I am trying to save time by converting MeDoc to either GPP Win or GX developer (or whatever the hell the new Q Series PLC's program in) so that I don't have to manually input the old MeDoc program into a form that will run on the Q series.

I don't believe that I mentioned this before, but I am extremely new to PLC's...I just started learning about them yesterday, so my terminology may be slightly off.

Thanks for the help in advance.

convert

You can create a new file in Gx developer choosing an FX cpu and then import the Medoc file once this is finished you can change the plc type to Qcpu be careful alot of the internal bits/registers are different from F to FX to Q! the Q is extremely powerful compared to the original F series ad is probably overkill!!

The F series PLCs require a special interface module for connecting a PC. It may not be compatible with GPPWin or GX Developer. Haven't seen one of these PLCs in at least 10 years.

It's been some time but you might be able to import a *.prn file into GPPWin that is created by "printing" the Medoc program to a file (this file becomes a *.prn file).

What I seem to remember is that the original Medoc file may be replaced, so save a copy of the *.prn file to a new location before importing and saving.

The newer GX Developer software allows importing of Medoc files directly. Again, the caveat above applies (you may wish to use Medoc for some reason in the future and it won't open the newly converted file).

BTalbot's right about the Q series. It may be more prudent to consider the FX1S, N or 2N.

... rab

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply, however....I hate to be a bother, but could you post a hierarchy of steps that I need to take to go about doing everything you said....as I said in my last post, I am a complete noob when it comes to this stuff.

Thanks a lot.

I just reinstalled GPPWin...not sure of the version though...but I checked the boxes that said import medoc..etc.

However when I tried to import a medoc file (I do believe it was *.prn) it gave me an error, saying that my type of cpu is not A/FX or something like that..

Does that mean my version of GPP is too old to import and convert Medoc files?

If so, what version do I need, and If not, could you list a step by step process that will allow me to get my desired results?

thanks

I was editing this response while you were posting. I don't use GPPWin (although I think that it's an earlier version of GX Developer).

To import a *.prn file, you have to first create it in Medoc. Open the project in question, press '7' (not F7, this should take you to the print function menu). Select 'Output'. You'll be given an opportunity to save as a file.

If you're using GX Developer, first select Project/New. The window 'New Project' opens. PLC Series = FXCPU and since the original code is from an F series, I would think that you can select any of the FX series PLCs for 'PLC Type' (say ... FX1S). Select OK.

Select Project/Import File/Import from Melsec Medoc Format File. Select file, import and save.

Last edited:
And assuming all this works, the newly saved file will then be compatible with the new Q series PLC that I have to install?

I know that the old F series PLC's run in octal notation and the Q series run in hexadecimal notation, so I assume that I would have to change the inputs and outputs so that they are converted properly from octal to hex....

Anything else I'm missing?

There will probably be addressing issues with internal 'M' coils in the F series vs the addressing scheme of the Q series. You'll need a manual to sort this out.

Dear KarateExplosion, if you ever want to progress into this field you must at least READ THE FFFFF POST.

I wrote :
How about connecting to the PLC with GPP and uploading the file.

You asked :
That's just it, I don't believe you can upload MeDoc to GPP via a connection from the PLC to the computer running GPP Win.

Don't tell me my english is that bad.

Read again buddy!

What I posted was to CONNECT your PC to the PLC using GPP or GX and UPLOAD the PROGRAM from the PLC.

That is simple enough.

Nothing is idiot-proof. Obviously!

You will not have the tags and/or labels/comments this way but you will have the ladder.

See, the PROGRAM is not MEDOC, MEDOC is the PROGRAMMING SOFTWARE. The program is what is INSIDE the PLC.

Then I wrote:
You could also re-upload the program from Medoc and try to re-convert it.Perhaps your backup is not good.

That is connect your PC to the PLC and use MEDOC to re-upload the PROGRAM in you PC. You will then have a MEDOC version of the program with all the comments and labels. Then you can try to re-convert it with GX-Dev 'cause maybee the file you are trying to convert are corrupted...

Zip the darn files and attach it to your next post.

Pierre, no need to be an @$$ about it, as I mentioned before, MONDAY OF THIS WEEK is the FIRST time in my life that I have ever heard about a PLC, or about the programming software it uses...so back off.

Anyway, I essentially did what you said, even though I didn't see your post until today, I re-uploaded the original Medoc program and made a new back-up onto my PC, then using GPP Win I tried to import that .prg file. However it turns out that GPP Win can only import from the FX series, not the F1/F2 (Mitsubishi) that I am using. I have not had a chance to use the latest version of GX Developer to see if the F1/F2 is compatible, since we lost our disc and are in the process of getting a new one.

So once we get a new disc, I will try to re-upload the Medoc program from the F1/F2 series PLC and then pray that GX developer will be able to successfully import it and convert it to whatever program the new Q series PLC's run.

Any other advice or tips..etc, would be great.

In MEDOC, change PLC type to a Fx.

This will leave you with some strange rungs where there is no coils. But thats OK and there is no way around it.

Then Import the program in Gx.

After this you'll need to fix every indicidual rungs that are not OK, but anyway you would have had to do it 'cause the Q will not have the same address as the old PLC.

What you will have is the Comments and labels and someting that is close to the ladder you need.

Again attach the file to your post.

Ther reason for this is that here in this site there is some pretty knowledgable guys with siome tricky softwares. They just might come up with someting.

Mitsubishi has many flavours of programming softwares and one could just do the trick for you.

And please don't be a guirly PLC programmer! moon2