ABB Drive setup question

geoplc

I guess this would be a Dick DV question but anyone else can chime in:
I have used ABB drives quite a bit but ran across something in a drive setup that I generally stayed away from but noticed in a drive setup by a machine builder. Can a digital input that is assigned for a particular function be used also for another function? (i.e. DI-3 setup to select EXT1/EXT2 Reference but also used to select Torque mode) That is also to say that both of the setup functions do not conflict and suit my machine environment. I just am not sure if the drive firmware would allow this or not.

ABB's digital inputs can have multiple assignments and that is often a really handy feature.

For example, you want to set up a reverse jog on a machine. You can take one digital input and assign Run/Stop, a fixed speed, a shorter accel/decel ramp set, and reverse, all to the input. Land one wire and you're good to go.

However, this feature can also cause confusion if you forget to remove an assignment before piling a new one on top of the old one. To help avoid this, ABB gives you a Digital Input Audit in the submenu on the ACS355 and 550 drives. You can go there and see a listing of all input assignments.
This is really easy to miss and exceedingly odd drive behavior can result from failure to remove a terminal assignment before adding new ones.

Thanks for the reply Dick DV,
That was one of the issues I have seen over and over especially when drives are recyled from one project to another and the parameters are not reviewed. Thanks again for the clarification.