Flashing the firmware on CompactLogix 5370 controller

technolog

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm something of a novice on AB PLCs. This will be my third project using them. The previous ones utilized MicroLogix & Micro850. This one uses a CompactLogix 5370 controller, part # 1769-L16ER-BB1B.

I tried to start the project using RSLogix 5000 (V20.01.00 (CPR 9 SR 5)). I entered the part number in the New Controller dialog and then went to enter the Revision in the drop-down box. Only revision 20 was selectable - the rest were grayed out. This prompted me to look what revision the controller was and a sticker on its box said FW 1.005 (which seems very low for a controller manufactured last month but I'm sure someone can explain why this is).

A much more experienced colleague told me to use the ControlFlash software to upgrade the firmware. I connected via USB and selected the part# in ControlFlash. Next I used the RSLinx-style connection browser to navigate to USB/1769-L16ER-BB1B/PointBus/1769-L16ER-BB1B (as advised by my colleague). The next page of the dialog reported the existing firmware as 1.005.2 but the new revision box below was empty. I was told I needed to download the firmware. I downloaded version 20.014.83 and put it in the ControlFlash program folder. When I went through the process again the new revision box was populated with my newly downloaded version 20.014.83. I clicked next and the summary page said I was about to update from 1.005.2 to 20.014.83. I clicked Finish. After clicking through an 'are you sure?' style message and another about the SD card (it was unlocked), I got an error message titled AB_ASA.DLL saying 'Failed to begin update to the target device. The target device is not in the proper mode to accept an update'. I clicked OK to that and another message appeared saying 'Manually reset module'. Clicking OK to that briefly displayed a progress bar saying 'Transmitting update 1 of 4 block 1 of 3'. Finally an Update Status message appeared with a red error message saying 'ERROR: Update to target device failed. Press View Log for more detailed information'. I clicked View Log and here is what was displayed:

Code:
10/21/15 08:41:46 [-------] User must install FactoryTalk AssetCentre Client 2.31 or above if attempting to log message to FactoryTalk AssetCentre Server. 

10/21/15 08:41:54 [SUCCESS] Load Driver: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Rockwell\AB_ASA.DLL

10/21/15 08:42:05 [SUCCESS] Initialize Driver: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Rockwell\AB_ASA.DLL

10/21/15 08:43:48 [SUCCESS] Device Identity: Path = RSLinx API!AB_VBP-1 1 16 1 0, Instance = 1,
VID=0x0001, PT=0x000E, PC=0x0099, Maj Rev=01, Min Rev=05, SN=0x60739117

10/21/15 08:47:36 [SUCCESS] Device Identity: Path = RSLinx API!AB_VBP-1 1 16 1 0, Instance = 1,

10/21/15 08:49:22 [SUCCESS] Device Identity: Path = RSLinx API!AB_VBP-1 1 16 1 0, Instance = 1,

10/21/15 08:53:32 [SUCCESS] Device Identity: Path = RSLinx API!AB_VBP-1 1 16 1 0, Instance = 1,

10/21/15 08:53:38 [SUCCESS] Validate: 
VID=0x0001, PT=0x000E, PC=0x0099, Maj Rev=01, Min Rev=05

10/21/15 08:56:46 [SUCCESS] Load Script: C:\Program Files (x86)\ControlFLASH\0001\000E\0099\PN-275951.nvs

10/21/15 08:56:46 [SUCCESS] Program: Catalog Number = 1769-L16ER/B LOGIX5316ER, Serial Number = 60739117, Num Updates = 4, Size = 7079174 byte(s).

10/21/15 08:59:02 [SUCCESS] Update: Instance = 103, Size = 643 byte(s), Chunk Size = 256 byte(s), Major Rev = 0, Minor Rev = 0

10/21/15 08:59:02 [FAILURE] Incremental Transfer: Error #11006: Service cannot be performed while object is in current state.
  GS=0x0C

10/21/15 09:07:40 [FAILURE] Transfer: Error #11006: Service cannot be performed while object is in current state.
  GS=0x0C

10/21/15 09:07:40 [FAILURE] Transfer: File = C:\Program Files (x86)\ControlFLASH\0001\000E\0099\PN-275954.der, Block = 1.

The controller mode switch was in the Rem position. I've since tried it in the Prog position but not in Run (surely it doesn't have to be in run). Also, at the first attempt, I had three Point I/O modules attached, so I removed those. Whatever I try, I still get the same error. Can anyone offer a solution?

I should add I've also tried using RSLogix5000 to perform the upgrade but still get the same error.

Sorry. RTFM. I should have looked first. I am expanding the browser tree too far - so much for experienced colleagues!

Apologies for the 5 minutes of your life you'll never get back.

technolog said:
...I am expanding the browser tree too far...

Yes, that "over expansion" in ControlFlash keeps cropping up here for the newer 5370 CompactLogix controllers. Users are still used to drilling down for their predecessor CompactLogix processors and don't realize things have changed.

Here's a reference from RA to watch out for that particular stumbling block...

478646 - 1769-LxER firmware upgrade process
Access Level: TechConnect

Note the emphasis they place at the bottom of the flash issues checklist...

• Antivirus should be disabled
  • The controller must be in Program mode
  • The End cap must be installed correctly
  • If flashing over Ethernet, when you are in ControlFlash in the Select the 1769-Lx device to update and click OK dialog, expand the driver and select the controller at the required IP address and select OK. DO NOT EXPAND THE CONTROLLER'S IP ADDRESS AND COMPACTBUS.

technolog said:
...a sticker on its box said FW 1.005 (which seems very low for a controller manufactured last month but I'm sure someone can explain why this is)...

Just to explain this one for you...

All Logix controllers, since firmware revision 7, are shipped with just their boot code loaded. This is not a usable firmware revision. It's just a minimum OS to allow a user to flash a suitable firmware revision.

Why they do so, I'm not 100% sure, but I have a theory on it which I conveyed some time back...

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showpost.php?p=654707&postcount=22

Regards,
George

Very interesting and helpful again, George. Thank you.

One thing though, both links you've posted to Rockwell's site take me to a page where I enter my log-in details and then on to a page whose title is 'Access rights validated' but the target page never appears but continually attempts to refresh, eventually landing on an error page with the following text:

Knowledgebase / Forum Registration Incomplete

If you just saved your profile, please wait up to 15 minutes while our systems process your request and send you an email confirming your registration, which will include your initial password. You will not be able to log in until you have received this email. We are sorry for the delay.

If you have not used the Knowledgebase or forums before, please complete your profile to register and get your initial password.

If you have used the Knowledgebase or forums before, and you have received the confirmation email with your initial password, please send us an email so we can investigate the problem. Please include a complete picture of the browser window including the caption, web address, page contents and bottom status bar.

We are sorry for the inconvenience.

I created my account several months ago. Any ideas? It was doing the same thing last night at home too.

You are most welcome.

I only posted one link to Rockwell's Knowledgebase above?

The other link at the bottom is to another post on this Forum, but I think that should be obvious enough from the text in the link?

Or did I link you to something else in another thread recently?

The technote article is "Access Level: TechConnect" which means you must have a TechConnect support contract to access it. If you do not have one then you cannot open it. I paraphrased (copied) it here in case you had not.

Either way, it sounds like you are experiencing an issue with your User Account?

When did you last login?

Are you confident you are entering the correct credentials?

Have you still got that initial password email?

Did you follow the instructions to email Rockwell with a screenshot?

EDIT: Sorry, you had said you got passed the login to the validated screen and then it "sticks". I would definitely contact them to sort it out.

Regards,
George

Yes, the other link was in another thread that you kindly offered help on yesterday.

I think I signed up individually, putting the company name in when asked. We're an RA system integrator so perhaps I should be using the company's log-in details rather than my own. I'll look into it.

Shawn Tierney recently posted several ControlFlash How To blogs on his website that might help you and you don't need a TechConnect contract to access the site
icon10.gif

http://theautomationblog.com/

Yes, the other link was in another thread that you kindly offered help on yesterday.

I think I signed up individually, putting the company name in when asked. We're an RA system integrator so perhaps I should be using the company's log-in details rather than my own. I'll look into it.

If I remember correctly, you'll need to add your company's TechConnect contract number to your account before it will grant access.

Yes, you need to link your account to your company's TechConnect contract number to get access to restricted webpages.

Something else you can try is to log in to the Rockwell site first, and then click the link. That will bypass the login screen, if it still doesn't work perhaps it will give you a more useful error message.