Anyone tried WinCC Flexible and OPC ?

JesperMP

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi.

I am for the first time experimenting with WinCC Flexible as an OPC client up against an S7 via Simatic Net.

(background follows, you may ignore - I just add this to avoid the usual questions "why do you do it this way ?"):
We want to run WinCC Flex RT on the same PC as Simatic Net with OPC cennections, and (importantly) it must be possible for the customer to modify the OPC connections. This excludes the WinCC Flexible project integrated in the STEP7 because the customer do not have WinCC Flexible engineering software or STEP7, only Simatic Softnet and WinCC Flex RT.
(background finished).

I have two problems:

1. I cannot create symbols of BOOLs or BYTE types. I can add tags that are directly addressed to BOOL and BYTE addresses, but not with the symbols. And that is too bad, because I have made a lot of BOOL and BYTE tags in the original project and I have addressed them symbolically. Using the Reconnect function, all the other symbols were found.

2. I cannot add tags by browsing OPC symbols. If I try I get an error message "Init OPC Connection Failed". I have selected to let OPC use all Symbols from the STEP7 project, and I have compiled in NetPro.
Does the OPC server have to run on the enineering PC. And do I have to have it loaded with the Simatic Net project ?
That would be too bad, because my engineering PC is not the same as the target PC, and so I cannot load the project into the Station Configurator.

Thanks for any advice that can help me with this matter.

Hi.

Why here aren't answers?

Departure point is quite strange, but question is interesting itself.

The possibility for the customer to modify OPC connections may be very useful if customer deals with mass production of automated equipment.

Why keep silent WinCC gurus?

Last edited:
I posted here and on siemens own forum and on sps-foren.de.
Guess what ?
2 days later and no responses at all !
I do think that this is a bit out of the ordinary but not that much out of the ordinary.

I will make a normal service request to Siemens and then see how it goes.

I got an answer to no. 2.

For to be able to use Symbols with OPC, the OPC server with the associated symbols defined has to run on the configuration PC.
That is not so easy as it sounds because then the OPC configuration incl. hw config has to be the same.