Guardlogix 5370 controller

tomscottr

I am new with ethernet IP networks. Having an issue with adding a powerflex 527 to the E-net tree of a Guardlogix 5370 controller. I can see the drive in rs links, but am getting a comm fault (code 16#fdo5) no axis or group assigned. Apologies if this is a rookie question. Thanks, Tom

The 527's are strange animals. Be cause they use CIPSafety, they get set up like a servo and use motion commands. What model 5370 are you using? Your system needs to support motion and safety (though both features don't have to exist on the same controller.) To do it with one controller you need a part number ending in "MS", like a 1769-L36ERMS.

A few times. The 527 manual states that i must add the 527 to the E-Net tree before I can configure. I completed the "new module" addition, but am getting the yellow ! and the comm fault (code 16#fd05). Strange that it shows up in links and looks normal.

You're almost there. In the properties window of the VFD, the first tab gives you the major and minor revision of the drive you've configured, and there's a "Change" button if it doesn't match (which, obviously, it doesn't).

Click change and pick the correct revision. If it's not available, you should be able to use "Match Drive" to upload the revision details from the drive, so it becomes available.

It's been a while since I did this, but maybe the PLC has to be in Program mode?

You can't do it online, that's for sure - I've not tried program mode but it might work. I usually do it offline and download.

When you say it's "not giving you access", what do you mean? Is the "change" button greyed out? Does it give you an error when you click apply? Is your revision not in the list?

A screenshot of the point it gets stuck at might help.

The change button works but the area that you would change the minor part of the revision is greyed out. This is my first project using studio 5000. This software should have come with a roll bar as much as it crashes. Thanks, Tom

What happens if you just select the correct major revision?

Have you tried the other options for selecting the drive version in that window? One of them is Match Drive, I can't remember the wording of the other offhand, but at least one option allows you to just browse to the drive in question in RSLinx, and it will pick up all the necessary revision and parameter values directly from the drive. Obviously you have to be connected to the PLC/drive to do this (not ONLINE but CONNECTED), and it takes quite some time for the first one, but after that you should be good to go.

OK. I hope this makes sense. A group of us share a Rockwell licence that is on our server. My computer was having network issues and had my software activation in the grace period, not activated. (I don't recall seeing a popup telling me that). When I started studio this morning, I got a window stating that my software was now activated. I connected to the plc, got into 527 drive module general properties, and the settings for the minor revision was no longer greyed out. Set revisions to match and all is good. Thanks you all for your help. Tom