Msg instruction ControlLogix PLC5

svetagl

I digged through different documentation, spent hours trying to accomplish it and still didn't get results :( Please help!!

I have ControlLogix5550 with DHRIO module (slot 3) and PLC5 (node 11 in Oct) attached to channel B (Node 2) Link 33. I want to use MSG instruction in RSLogix5000 to read I/Os from PLC5. For test I am trying to read N7:0.

Steps I performed:
1. Created tag INBOX with INT[10] datatype
2. In RSLogix did PLC mapping - map file 7 to INBOX
3. Created MESAGECONTROL tag type message
4. Created message instruction . Message control = MESAGECONTROl tag. Message typ = PLC5 TypedREad. Soruce element - N7:0. Number of Elemetns = 10. Destination is INBOX.
5. In Communication specified path to DHRIO. COmmunication Method = DH+, Channel B, Destination Link: 0 Source Link:0 Destination Node = 11.
6. Created XIO specifying MESAGECONTROL.EN

WHen I run a programm it says Enable - Enable Wating - Enable Start but doesn't show Done and nothing gets populated in INBOX - what can be the problem?

Thank you!

Is the message block reporting any errors.

What you might be able to do is put a flasher bit from a timer in front of the msg block. This should get in started. There are some notes on the AB website about how to properly set up the message blocks for triggering but I do not have that info at the moment.

Steps I performed:
1. Created tag INBOX with INT[10] datatype
2. In RSLogix did PLC mapping - map file 7 to INBOX
3. Created MESAGECONTROL tag type message
4. Created message instruction . Message control = MESAGECONTROl tag. Message typ = PLC5 TypedREad. Soruce element - N7:0. Number of Elemetns = 10. Destination is INBOX.
5. In Communication specified path to DHRIO. COmmunication Method = DH+, Channel B, Destination Link: 0 Source Link:0 Destination Node = 11.
6. Created XIO specifying MESAGECONTROL.EN
You don't map array if CLX executes the message
Destination should be INBOX[0]
Everything else is correct
For debugging put XIC DUMMY1 as a message condition and toggle it.
Watch for an error code.
Do you have a solid green light on CHB and PLC5?
May be try only one element first?

Also if both channels of DHRIO set as DH+, then it must be removed from I/O configuration.
Use 1,3 for path

Last edited:
I second everything that my distinguished colleague Contr_Conn has posted ... and if you have a "routing table" set up, you should be able to delete that too ... here's a picture that might help ...

msg_1.JPG

I got this to work in the lab ... good luck ...

Before going too much further, what is the hardware you are trying to communicate to/from?

Reason being, I did an upgrade project and discovered that I had to replace two PLC5 processors and upgrade the firmware of two others. They worked fine with PLC5 communciations, but didn't work at all with the DHRIO ControlLogix solution.

DH+ message is not hardware or FW dependent and should have no problems.

But if Ethernet involved, then PLC5 FW needs to meet min requirements.

Not true.

There is a listing of PLC5 and firmware revisions that can communicate to ControlLogix via DH+.
It doesn't make sense onto why that it isn't exactly universal, but there are some PLC5's that flat can't do it.

Can you post link to this document, please.

Any PLC5 can communicate with Controllogix directly, as DHRIO module takes care of all routing.

I created INBOX[0]and now it shows an error: 16#0011 Reply data too large.
Also do I need to put PLC5 into RUN mode in order to get data out of it because I left it on PROG and suspect this can be the problem.
I have PLC5/10 Series A memory 6912 Revision F

I thought too that DHRIO can communicate with any PLC5. If not Oakley can you please refer to some documentation?

Contr_Conn said:
For debugging put XIC DUMMY1 as a message condition and toggle it.
Watch for an error code.

Do you have a solid green light on CHB and PLC5?

May be try only one element first?

Also if both channels of DHRIO set as DH+, then it must be removed from I/O configuration.

Use 1,3 for path

How can I toggle it?
I have a solid green light.
What would one element be - N7:0/1 ?
About module removing - do you mean just delete DHRIO module from RSLOgix5000 I/O configuration?

First, there is no firmware restrictions on DH+ messages.

To toggle contact, right click on it and select Toggle Bit

INBOX should be defined in controller tags as INT[10]If you are getting reply daya too large, then your array has less than 10 elements or you are reading more than 10.

Change number of elements to 1 and you will be reading N7:0 to INBOX[0]

About module removing - do you mean just delete DHRIO module from RSLOgix5000 I/O configuration?
Yes remove from I/O configuretion, it should not be there.

I/O configuration has nothing to do with SLC messaging.

DHRIO must be removed from I/O config if no RIO used.

I was mistaken - the document for firmware restriction on PLC5 is for EtherNet. But during a recent project, we did have issues with a certain firmware revision not working with the CLX DHRIO. Contacting Techsupport, their finding was the firmware and recommended to replace the firmware. We didn't have time to wait for new chips, so we replaced the processor with some spares.

I cannot find the firmware information right now, but there is some issues.

Got it.
My ultimate goal is to read I/O files O and I and thanks to all advices I can do it now with one MSG

TO read multiple files do I need to create rung and a message for every file? And use different Message control or the same one?