SLC 5/05 Ethernet RSLinx Driver Communication Setup

PLBoudette

I recently bought a SLC 5/05 CPU and am trying to communicate with the Ethernet port for configuring it. I can communicate using the DF-1 port, however I will soon be using this port for communication to a PanelView 900 so I need to use the Ethernet one for configuration and troubleshooting. Here are my settings for the SLC 5/05:
IP Address: 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway Address: 0.0.0.0
Bootp Disabled

Here are my settings for the laptop I'm using:
IP Address: 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: None
No Firewall

I also have a crossover cable going from the PC to the SLC. When I configure the Ethernet driver in RSLinx, I add 192.168.1.2 to Station 0 and then try to browse it. It browses it and sees it but shows it as an "Unrecognized Device" and will not communicate with it. I also pinged the PLC from the command prompt and received successful replies from it. I thought it could be a software issue because we do have RSLogix 500 and RSLinx versions that are older. We have RSLogix 500 (Version 5.20.00 Build 17) and RSLinx Lite (Version 2.31.00 Build 10). However, I talked to another engineer who uses the same versions and in a previous project, was able to communicate with a SLC 5/05 through an ethernet switch.

Am I missing something here? I'm not quite sure where else to go to troubleshoot this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Pete

"I keep getting older, they just stay the same."

Very likely your software doesn't recognize the firmware currently shipping in SLC-5/05 controllers. This is consistent with the "unrecognized device" error message.

The firmware revision of the controller is on the label on the side. Post that and I can check it against the RSLogix 500 release history.

RSLogix 500 is currently shipping at version 7.20. Version 5.20 was the first to support Windows XP, so it's been around for about 5 years.

It browses it and sees it but shows it as an "Unrecognized Device" and will not communicate with it. I also pinged the PLC from the command prompt and received successful replies from it.***

You need the proper EDS file for the device you are trying to talk to.

http://www.ab.com/networks/eds.html

Also you need XP Pro or at least not a Home version operating system

Tricky choice... 2.51 is cpr-7 if he uses more advanced Rockwell software they will stop working if cpr value is incompatable... but if he's just using RSLinx Lite 2.51 is ok just need to resolve his operating system first.

I actually am not at the office right now so I can't get the firmware version off it today. Will have to do it tomorrow. OS is:
Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Just downloaded and installed the EDS file for SLC 5/05 1747-L553 C with the EDS Hardware Installation Tool.

Does my OS screw me here?

OS is:
Windows XP
Home Edition ****

The proverbial screwed, Blued and Tattoed.

No Rockwell Software is certified to run on home operating systems.

That being said... sometimes you can fool xp home by installing rslinx then delete the comm port in device manager when the os puts the port back in " new hardware found " it may align internally with RSLinx... but its a maybe.

EDS file installed wont hurt it but that alone wont make it work properly with the computer OS...

Best bet in XP is XP Pro

PLBoudette said:
I actually am not at the office right now so I can't get the firmware version off it today. Will have to do it tomorrow. OS is:
Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Just downloaded and installed the EDS file for SLC 5/05 1747-L553 C with the EDS Hardware Installation Tool.

Does my OS screw me here?

The XP Home may be the issue, but I also is your SLC 5/05 an Ethernet I/P processor?. I had an issue last year with a SLC 5/05 Ethernet I/P processor. Had to use the Ethernet I/P driver in Rslinx to see the processor.

also is your SLC 5/05 an Ethernet I/P processor?.*****
All SLC505's are enet processors
I had an issue last year with a SLC 5/05 Ethernet I/P processor. Had to use the Ethernet I/P driver in Rslinx to see the processor.*****

Ethernet devices driver, you have to enter the ip address of the device you wish to communicate with... Ethernet IP driver, the driver looks at the network and populates the addresses allready there..( but older devices wont populate their IP address , only newer style units)

Stand corrected , it was the other way around. I had an issue with the Ethernet I/P driver, as the firmware version in my 5/05 was FRN9 . FRN10 corrected the Ethernet I/P issue as stated in Knowledge base document ID 34562

Cure: Place a check mark in the SNMP option or update to FRN 10.

I always try to get what they got to work. The check mark would have been easier, faster, and cheaper. heh