To all my fellow Canukians!

rocket1010

Fill up the propane tanks and hit the beer store, the long weekend has arrived!

Have a great one everybody!

canada.jpg

Please dont take this wrong

Do y'all really say Canukians? I thought it was Canucks.

A lifetime ago I did some work as a tree topper. One summer I went to Canada to work in a lumber camp...a million miles from nothing. Most beautiful place you could ever want to be though. Topping trees over 100 feet tall being able to see off the mountain for miles..snow capped mountains (in July)...words can not describe it.

Anyway the term Canuck was used but wasnt a term "I" was suppose to use..know what I mean?

I dont remember there being a hockey team with that name back then either.

The hardest part about any language is knowing when slang or some terminology is allowed. That applies even if its your native language.

rsdoran said:
I dont remember there being a hockey team with that name back then either.
Ron, I thought you were younger than that. The Vancouver Canucks have been around since 1945! They became an NHL franchise in 1970.
In 1945 the Pacific Coast Hockey League established an ice hockey franchise in the city of Vancouver. Known as the Canucks, they immediately enjoyed success by winning the PCHL championship in only their second year of existence. In 1952, the PCHL merged with the Western Canada Senior Hockey League to form the professional Western Hockey League. With numerous star players coming through the ranks like Johnny Bower, Andy Bathgate, Tony Esposito, Don Cherry and Phil Maloney, the Canucks won the Lester Patrick Cup in 1958, 1960, 1969 and 1970.

rsdoran said:
The hardest part about any language is knowing when slang or some terminology is allowed. That applies even if its your native language.
I've never really considered the term offensive, but I wish Kiwis would at least learn to pronounce it correctly.
Usually comes out " ka' - nook "

Talk about going on a tangent in an OT

Ron, I thought you were younger than that. The Vancouver Canucks have been around since 1945! They became an NHL franchise in 1970.
I turned 52 on May 7th, 1970 was the summer I was in the Territorities. I was never a big hockey fan but I thought they were new when they became an NHL franchise. In those days I was young and dumb.....so didnt pay attention to alot of things.

Kiwis is the affectionate term for New Zealanders?