Siemens S7 with Scada using PC adapter USB

Marie

Hello,

I'm trying to use a PC adapter USB/MPI to communicate between S7-300 and an Citect Scada application.

Anyone knows how to setup Citect? (board, port, protocol, etc...)

Thank you

Marie

Marie,

as far as I know it's not (yet) possible. It might be the newest version of the Siemens OPC server is ready to perform this action, but I have no info about it so far.

I know Jesper is using the OPC server. Maybe he has more recent information. Just hang around, he's bound to view this post sooner or later (usually sooner).

Kind regards,

Hi,

it is definitely NOT possible to use the USB adapter with Simatic Softnet as OPC server.

However, some 3rd party OPC servers (Kep and others) did use the older serial adapter. Maybe they have updated their software to be able to use the USB adapter.

Also, I dont know Citect (tried it once with an AB PLC though), so is there something with Citect using the S7ONLINE access point ?
If that is the case then it is possible to use the USB adapter directly.

Lastly, the USB adapter isnt very practical for a permanent solution. It must hang directly off the programming port so that limits the use a bit.
Consider a CP5611 card if the Citect PC is stationary. It is only 50% more expensive than a USB adapter, has much higher performance, and you can connect it with a long Profibus cable.

Hi guys,

I finally found a way to communicate between Citect and my S7-300. I'm using the USB/MPI adapter (Simatic S7 PC adapter USB) but I had to install a driver, PSDIRECT, which is developed by Citect so that CitectSCADA can communicate without using the CP5611 card.

As you have mentionned Jesper, this installation is not permanent, it is for the development period only because of the disadvantages you have mentionned.

However, I still have some trouble, because the communication is not stable and some of my variable tags do not communicate properly, I don't know why. Maybe it's because of my Citect configuration. Any ideas?

Marie

If you have STEP7 on the same PC, you can try to observe the same addresses with a socalled VAT table.
At least that will tell you if the problems are on the software side or the hardware side.

I dont know if the PSDIRECT driver can run concurrently with STEP7.

Hi,

I don't have any Siemens software on my PC. However, I get the following warning during the startup of my application: "Warning >> Device < S7_300> Missing poll block S0->S199 in Backend.". Do you know what that warning means?
Thx
Marie

I have no idea what that message means.
Also, "S0->S199" doesnt remind me of anything in the S7 PLC.
Contact Citect about the problem.
And try to install STEP7 on the same PC, or if you have another PC with STEP7 installed, then try to test the connection with the same USB adapter, and/or try to install Citect on that PC and see how it goes.

I stopped trying to use my USB cable, we decided to use CP5611 instead. But still I have other problems... please see my other post to help me.

Marie

How to configure Citect to use SIEMENS USB/MPI adapter

Hello Marie,

In a precedent post you said that you have used the USB to MPI adapter from siemens to communicate between Citect and a S7-300. For this you use PSDirect driver.
How do you configure PSDirect to use this USB interface, I do not have this choice in the PSdirect configuration software.
And how do you configure the communication in Citect.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards.

Tamia