What do I need?

daveford

I am new at this PLC game. I have just picked up an AB SLC500 system for my Zinc line. I have a P2 power supply, L532 16K processor, A10 rack w/3 IA16 inputs, 2 OA16 outputs, 1 OB16 output, and a 600 Panelview Device net 2711-B6C10. Do I need a scanner and/or a AIC to make this panelview work or can I go direct from the processor to the panelview? I know I need the Panelbuilder software, but do I need other items? I have a 1200E-2711E-T12C6 Panelview comming later. Which is the best to use? Appreciate any help to this novice. Thanks.

Why doing a devicenet Panelview? You will then need a devicenet "scanner" like 1747-SDN and the RSNetworx Devicenet software. L532 is a SLC 5/03. You can do direct connect from 5/03 to a DF1 or DH485 Panelview using a simple straight through serial cable.

1200E PV is an obsolete product, I believe, you need 1400E programming software for that. I would not touch it.

I am no expert, but as a casual observer, I believe that your first step should be to hire a PLC integrator.

I may be wrong but doesnt that PV600 unit also have a RS232 port? It may be possible to direct connect using RS232 and not worry about the devicenet.

The DeviceNet PanelView will only communicate with the PLC via DeviceNet. The RS-232 port is for printer connection. Most of the the PanelViews with a printer port will allow you to configure the printer port for upload/download, but not direct comms with the PLC.