Motion Detection

Unregistered

U
I have an application that I would like to add to an existing program. We are presently using a High Speed Counter (Using the A-B 1746-HSCE) to control a VFD star/stop. The HSCE is using an encoder for the feedback and the rate is approximately 260 ft/min of travel time. The length of travel is about 10 feet between cycles (15 sec per/cycle). During this travel cycle I would like to detect if the motion (Speed) has slowed down or completely stop before the register preset valve has been made.

Is there an output from the HSCE that I could use and do I have to configure the HSCE for rate mode? I would use the output to stop the VFD before any damage to the drive or our product.

Stasis,

All I want to do is detect whether or not all product is moving. It’s a helical type wire moving through a series of dies and at the preset register value it cuts the wire and starts over again. The only way of motion detection is the encoder, which is mount on a wheel.

Look up 'Rate Measurement' in the manual for this card. A 'Rate Period' during which pulses are counted is set up. The loacation of this depends on the current mode of the counter. Once it is set up the card reports back in I:e.s (e = slot) the number of pulses counted. This updates each rate period. Monitor this for your speed measurement. (In fact it may already have been somewhat set up. Just monitor that input location during a move.)