Control Logix Processor Upgrade - General info

EICS

i'm looking to do 2 Control Logix Processor Upgrades in

my plant. just after some general info as i have not done this before. i could engage Rockwell to do this or an SI but like a challenge (if its within my capability).

i have 2 processors
1756-L50 series (from memory)V18 firmware
1756-L62 V18 firmware

i am considering migrating both up to 1756-L83 with V28 firmware.

what general pitfalls do i need to be aware of, i am concerned about compatibility to I/O modules etc.

Consider going to version 30 instead of version 28. Much more stable.
Simplicity depends on the installed modules. If there are no weird motion modules or specialty modules it is easy. Remember that you can always stick the old processors back in if it doesn't work.
Regards Alan

The L8Xs have significantly faster scan times (on the order of 10-15x) so code that may have been sensitive to the older scan times may need attention. Rare anymore but you never know, best to be aware of it.

I just finished using v28 on several cells using L7Xs and didn't run into any issues.

Why are you going to install L83 processors versus the L81 or L 82? There is a big cost difference so if you don't need the extra memory, I would size them to the programs they are running.
Read the release notes on the version you select so you know what you're getting into. I generally read the release notes on the version after the one I am considering so I know what they fixed in the version I am looking at.
Another thing to consider is other software that will interact with these processors. I had one instance where an OPC server software had to be updated prior to the upgrade.

You'll need to verify the HMI/SCADA software that will communicate to the new controller are compatible with them. Rockwell did some major changes that impact communication drivers in v21, so anything that moves from pre 21 to 21+ will need to drivers updated to read the controller, which cascade into other upgrades depending on the HMI/SCADA platforms you might be using.

Also, the L8x processors don't support "Phase Manager", so if your existing programs use that feature you're SOL until v32. If you absolutely have to upgrade now then only real option is to go with an L7x processor.