Lost forever ?

Puzzled

Hi all
I am a newbie to the forum. I have a question about an AB compact logix L32E series A. I have the following configuration -CPU Power supply ECR endcap - no I/O connected. I performed a firmware upgrade from v15.0 to v17.01 using the flash utility using the serial port.This appeared to be successful however after recycling the power the I/O led began flashing and the ethernet module faulted. Following the revision notes for version 17 I removed the battery for 24hrs and the firmware version reverted to v1.15. I then reflashed but still no ethernet port.Inhibiting the ethernet module clears the I/O led flashing. Has the ethernet port departed to a different continuuim or is it recoverable ?
Any help appreciated