Who has separate E & I departments?

MNMark

Hello all!

I apologize in advance if this post resembles any that have been posted here before, or if I am out of line asking this here. I have been a long-time reader of this forum, although I just recently created a new profile because of some strange circumstances...

My question for all of you is... How many organizations out there have separate electrical and instrumentation (or automation) departments nowadays? My employer, a fairly large utility group, has recently been discussing merging our separate electrical and instrumentation departments. This has primarily been discussed as a cost savings and efficiency move. I have not been employed with them for that many years, but it seems like my experience in recent years is that many organizations now have one combined E & I department. This seems to make total sense to me since the work is so closely related.

I would appreciate any and all comments that any of you might have. I would like to get a feel for what people are doing in the industry at large and pass on what I learn. Thank you all for your time!

The plant that I used to work at did not have separate E&I. Heck, we had to fix anything that does or potentially could carry electrons (15KV and below). That even included telecommunications. I learned a little of everything but was a master of nothing.

Now I do some field service and I see that most plants (if they even have any skilled labor) do not have separate E&I departments. But I pretty much stick to packaging and food/beverage industries.

The company I work for has has both electricians and instrumentation technicians under the maintenance department - however engineers frequenelty get involved with instrumentation maintenance because even though Bubba and Cletus are smarter than the average maintenance tech, they are still weak on instrumentation skills (and PLC, programming, etc). As a result I spend a few hours every month getting oily and dirty right along side them. A little dirt under the fingernails is good for the soul; its a nice break from the routine - I just wouldn't want to do it all the time.

The company I work for has has both electricians and instrumentation technicians under the maintenance department - however engineers frequenelty get involved with instrumentation maintenance because even though Bubba and Cletus are smarter than the average maintenance tech, they are still weak on instrumentation skills (and PLC, programming, etc). As a result I spend a few hours every month getting oily and dirty right along side them. A little dirt under the fingernails is good for the soul; its a nice break from the routine - I just wouldn't want to do it all the time.

As an Electrician and Programmer not sure if I should take offense to this!?!?...
:confused:

Also The company I work for has has both electricians and instrumentation technicians under the maintenance department. But the electricians take care of all the PLCs.But there is talk about bring the 2 toghter. I work in a chemical Plant ,But have also work at a Papermill, fiberglass Plant and a Plywood Plant and this three had one craft E/I.

Now days having an electrical department spearate from the Mechanical is begining to be the exception and not the rule. Everyone is supposed to be "Multicraft".

Infact I will bet that is what Alaric was refering to.

Where i work now i always have fun with this.
Example Flow meter needs to be installed

The mechanical engineer buys (the oriffice and) the flowmeter according to electrical departments specs.
Other Mechanical engineer is changing iso drawings and P&id etc...
The electrical engineer changes the electrical drawings
The mechanical guy fixing the bolts
Electrical guy pulls the cables
Instrumentation guy is configurating and connecting the instrument.
Programmer is starting up/programming the software

Old job 1 guy does it all and starts up the installation

New job everyone is complaining they have a hard time

Old job everyone is having fun because the jobs is allways a challenge

As an Electrician and Programmer not sure if I should take offense to this!?!?...
:confused:

Bubba and Cletus are nicknames for for certain maintenance techs in our organization. Bubba and Cletus are both actually bright people, what skills they lack is a more a matter of training than ability.