Dell laptops, serial ports?

robw53

Does anyone have a new dell business laptop that comes with serial ports or have they been done away with and replaced with an adaptor?

It seems that they have done away with them. We were getting the dell E5510, but they have replaced it with the E5520 (without a serial port). We are ordering the Keyspan USA-HS19 (which is highly recommended here in this forum). You can get one here.

I'm about to order 2 of the Industrial USB/RS232 adapter from that link and give them a whirl.

what about OS is the 64 bit prefered over 32 bit, also what about some of the minor programs like the NET-ENI wizard, would this be something you would need to run in XP mode?

any body else surfing the bleeding edge please let me know of your experience

Rob

I am using a Dell Precision M4500 it does not have serial ports. My I.T. guy ordered a “mini dock” that has a serial port. This has worked quite well maybe easier than finding a laptop with an on-board serial port.
Rich

i have a dock for the other laptopswhich have the serial ports but not very convenient when out and about in the factory.

the lack of software which rockwell says is unsupported for 7 is very scary, panel builder 32 etc

I prefer 64bit myself. Most of the software that I use runs natively now, the majority of it being rockwell products. I still run FactoryTalk View Studio in XP Mode.

Last edited:
you can get the dell e-legacy extender for some models of their laptops. It works well but I cant say if it will work with everything. I carry it as an alternative to the keyspan adapter.

Works with everything I've tried. High speed.
USB-RS232 downside - It, like others, will blue-screen Windows if pulled while communicating.

It can come our pretty easy too. And it's not the cable coming out of the USB port on the computer, it's the other end that comes out of the keyspan. This is why I'm going to try out the other one from the link that I posted. It's all one piece.

9300-USBS
Yes I work for a large Canadian owned bakery and apart from a couple of bits of kit which are S7 the rest is mainly logic 5000 and some 500 stuff

I tend to go for the AB stuff as we have an account with a uk distributor other manufacturers which are not so popular are harder to get and may not even be sold in the uk